getting a directory listing without removing index.html

getting a directory listing without removing index.html

Post by JS » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:53:32

Hi,

On Apache, what URL do I specify to get a directory listing if I keep
the index.html (or whatever the default file is called) in the directory
I want to see? Is there a way to do this? (Note Alias is not an option
as I'm working from public_html in my home directory).

Thanks for any answers.

JS.

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:05:57

> Hi,

> On Apache, what URL do I specify to get a directory listing if I keep
> the index.html (or whatever the default file is called) in the directory
> I want to see? Is there a way to do this? (Note Alias is not an option
> as I'm working from public_html in my home directory).

You cannot do both automatically, but I wrote a dirindex.cgi that can do
something similar to Indexing, for a system where Indexing was apparently
disabled.  In my case I called it index.cgi (which was listed in
DirectoryIndex and had no index.html).  But you could call it dirindex.cgi
and access it as that (if CGI is allowed there, otherwise it may need to
be modified to run from cgi-bin and cd to the desired dir first).

An demo of it in action is http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/pub/ (see
dirindex.txt there for its source).