Questions on how to host my own website on the internet....

Questions on how to host my own website on the internet....

Post by Tim Mouse » Wed, 29 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm running a very popular martial arts website.  My service provider just
disabled a cgi script I use for a discussion forum.  I've been told I should
get a dedicated server.  Instead of paying someone $250-$900/month I was
wondering what it takes to set up my own "shop."

What type of hardware is needed?  I'll need to run perl cgi scripts.
What type of arrangements need to be made with the local phone company, if
any??
What software do I need and is it expensive?
What type of costs are associated with starting up this type of setup?
If I'm asking too many questions, are there any resources you could refer me
to?

Thanks in advance,

Tim Mousel

http://www.defend.net

Post by Miguel Cr » Wed, 29 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>I'm running a very popular martial arts website.  My service provider just
>disabled a cgi script I use for a discussion forum.  I've been told I should
>get a dedicated server.  Instead of paying someone $250-$900/month I was
>wondering what it takes to set up my own "shop."

Cheapest you could do it is get a little 6x86 box for $500 or so. Install
Linux and Apache on it, and mail it off to one of those co-location places
that charges $50/month for the first 2 gigs.

You could even share it with some friends if you know someone else who needs
a place for their forum. No matter how popular your site is, that will be
more than enough machine. Next thing you know, you'll be an ISP. Remember me
when you're rich.

miguel

Post by Eric Jacks » Wed, 29 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I'm running a very popular martial arts website.  My service provider just
>disabled a cgi script I use for a discussion forum.  I've been told I should
>get a dedicated server.  Instead of paying someone $250-$900/month I was
>wondering what it takes to set up my own "shop."

>What type of hardware is needed?  I'll need to run perl cgi scripts.
>What type of arrangements need to be made with the local phone company, if
>any??
>What software do I need and is it expensive?
>What type of costs are associated with starting up this type of setup?
>If I'm asking too many questions, are there any resources you could refer me
>to?

Well time you might want to think about whats called Co-Locating
your server.  What that means is having your own server but instead
of having a leased line from an ISP to you house you locate your
server at their site.

This might only cost you about 200 to 300 a month plus the innitial
set up costs.  These would probably run you less that $1,000 if
you wanted to do it on the cheap.

But really it all depends on the band width that your using,
a good thing to know would be how many mega bites or gigabits
your using a month.

jaks

Questions on how to host my own website on the internet....

Post by Tim Mouse » Wed, 29 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Well time you might want to think about whats called Co-Locating
>your server.  What that means is having your own server but instead
>of having a leased line from an ISP to you house you locate your
>server at their site.

>This might only cost you about 200 to 300 a month plus the innitial
>set up costs.  These would probably run you less that $1,000 if
>you wanted to do it on the cheap.

>But really it all depends on the band width that your using,
>a good thing to know would be how many mega bites or gigabits
>your using a month.

>jaks

My site is using 1,796,376,995 bytes per week (is this 1.79 gigabites?).
Any recommendations on a company to co-locate with?

Thanks,

Tim

1. using apache/own computer/hosted website/

here's what I want- I wan't my html files- web pages accessed or
downloaded the fastest possible way - which is? If theorectly I use my
own computer as the server{the people accessing my files are useing
there own isp- which brings up these questions{does my computer need
to be connected to the internet useing my isp for other people useing
there own isp to access my pages[apache html files or another
question{exactly what apache files are the general public useing there
isp allowed to see{just the html files or what?}when they connect to
my computer{my computer connection to the internet is a 56k modem-
what affect does this have on speed to the people downloading my
apache pages or {other files?} as there useing there own isp and ther
own {modem-cable-whatever}- some plain english - practical -
understandable reply's to these questions would be really cool.
second main question- speed -the fastest possible download of my web
pages - that's what I wan't -I have a hosted web site{I don't know
what kind of server they use or the software they configure it
with}can I use  apache to improve the speed with witch my files -web
pages are downloaded from my hosted site {if so - how?} Please send
any reply's to my email address {if they don't come that way anyway-
thanks in advance to anyone -you maybe - who could help{the apache I
downloaded is the windows 98 already compiled version}

2. Reliable File System

3. problems hosting my own website

4. HELP, how to use setkey and encrypt

5. Book recommendation on hosting your own website

6. Basic Authentication and Firewalls

7. Website Hosting and Website Design for Businesses and Professionals

8. SUMMARY: Solaris 2.2 licensing

9. Want your own website?

10. can't access own website by ip

11. Build Internet Host or Internet BBS

12. Website hosting

13. How do I host website with my domain?