Apache and IE: viewing plain text log files

Apache and IE: viewing plain text log files

Post by Cliff Mee » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 02:08:04

Hi,
   I have some log files that are viewable from the web, and I'm
having problem viewing some of them.  The logfiles that end in
arbitrary extensions pop up fine and are displayed as 'Plain Text',
but IE always tries to download the logs that end in the extension
'.log'.

The file are all served out with apache on Solaris, and I have made
sure the file permissins are the same.  I thought that apache might
have been sending mime type other than plain/text for files with
'.log', but it doesn't appear so.

If I right click on the link and go to properties, IE tells me the
file is of type 'text', so maybe there is something I need to tell IE
to get the logs to display in the browser?

Thanks,

Cliff

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 02:35:38

> Hi,
>    I have some log files that are viewable from the web, and I'm
> having problem viewing some of them.  The logfiles that end in
> arbitrary extensions pop up fine and are displayed as 'Plain Text',
> but IE always tries to download the logs that end in the extension
> '.log'.

You are probably experiencing the problem discussed here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#ie-ignores-mime

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any real solution other
than ask MS to fix their browser.

--
Joshua Slive

http://slive.ca/

Apache and IE: viewing plain text log files

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 03:26:42

On Sep 20, Cliff Meece inscribed on the eternal scroll:

Quote:>    I have some log files that are viewable from the web, and I'm
> having problem viewing some of them.  The logfiles that end in
> arbitrary extensions pop up fine and are displayed as 'Plain Text',
> but IE always tries to download the logs that end in the extension
> '.log'.

IE is in violation of RFC2616.  The violation is even documented by
its perpetrator. IE can't be made into a WWW browser just by wishing
it so.  It needs for its creator to stop fooling around, and make it
so.

Anyhow you'd be a lot safer, with all these worms and stuff around
just now, to use an RFC-conforming WWW browser instead.

This really has nothing to do with Unix web servers.

Apache and IE: viewing plain text log files

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:56:19

Quote:> Hi,
>    I have some log files that are viewable from the web, and I'm
> having problem viewing some of them.  The logfiles that end in
> arbitrary extensions pop up fine and are displayed as 'Plain Text',
> but IE always tries to download the logs that end in the extension
> '.log'.

You cannot do it with MIME types because MSIE is not MIME compliant.

See if Windows is set to associate .LOG with a particular program.  If
not, set it so .LOG will open Wordpad or other program that can
display text.

--
David Efflandt - All spam is ignored - http://www.de-srv.com/

1. Apache occasionally serving CSS files as plain text

In our pages we use cascading style sheets. These are specified with
this directive:  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
href="/sub.css">

Basically, every once in a while apache will serve up cascading
style
sheets as text rather than as part of the HTML page (and the URL in the
navigation bar will be:  xxx.internap.com/sub.css rather than the page
you were trying to load). What seems to happen is that apache stops
serving up anything after the .css (so if normally there are gifs, etc.
to be loaded after the .css, these are not loaded and the page 'stops'
with the cascading style sheet.). For example (from the access_log):

213.226.22.149 - carl [14/Jun/2000:22:16:21 +0000]
"GET
/apps/colo/TEST/AdminMenu.htm HTTP/1.0" 200
8488
213.226.22.149 - carl [14/Jun/2000:22:16:24 +0000]
"GET
/apps/colo/TEST/EditFacility.htm HTTP/1.0" 200
12598
213.226.22.149 - carl [14/Jun/2000:22:16:24 +0000] "GET
/sub.css HTTP/1.0" 200 358

Oddly this problem happens *only* with the debian distribution of apache
(debian distribution of linux 2.2 x86, apache v1.3.6, latest mod_perl).
The same content will work just fine with the libc5 apache (same
version) The problem is *very* intermittent and seems particularly
attracted to Netscape.

Has anyone heard of this? Is it a configuration issue? Browser issue?
This is driving us crazy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Connection refused.

3. VirtualHost enabled causes Apache to crash Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

4. add support for PC-9800 architecture (kernel)

5. Apache 1.0.3 forces all docs to text/plain

6. C++ compilation error

7. Apache sending .htm as plain text...

8. XView and Solaris 2.3

9. Apache servering up page as plain/text

10. Why do Netscape display plain text on apache?

11. Apache + Tomcat + Netscape = plain text output

12. Plain Text Perl: Apache 1.3.11

13. Apache sends plain text ??