1. NCSA httpd 1.5a: .htaccess redirects
I've been trying to get Redirects (Temp and Perm) to work from the
.htaccess file using NCSA httpd 1.5a on both Ultrix 4.4 and Linux
1.3.43 (and I'll try 1.2.13 over the weekend).
UserDir is set to WWW, rather than public_html.
In /home/dgymer/WWW/.htaccess I have:
-- snip --
# These work despite having no translation! But they don't work if the
# symlinks are removed!
Redirect /~dgymer/f1gputil/ http://www.mal.com/~dgymer/f1gp/util/
Redirect /~dgymer/f1gp-faq/ http://www.mal.com/~dgymer/f1gp/faq/
Redirect /~dgymer/f1gp-prf/ http://www.mal.com/~dgymer/f1gp/prf/
Redirect /~dgymer/f1gp-iv/ http://www.mal.com/~dgymer/f1gp/iv/
Redirect /~dgymer/lfrs/ http://www.mal.com/~dgymer/f1gp/lfrs/
Redirect /~dgymer/lf3000/ http://www.mal.com/~dgymer/f1gp/lf3000/
Redirect /~dgymer/wcpchof/ http://www.mal.com/~dgymer/f1gp/hof/
Redirect /~dgymer/lfstats/ http://www.mal.com/~dgymer/lf/
Redirect /~dgymer/f1gpmisc/ http://www.mal.com/~dgymer/f1gp/misc/
# This doesn't work right!
Redirect /~dgymer/home.html http://www.mal.com/~dgymer/f1gp/
-- snip --
As you might have guessed, I recently moved a lot of directories
into an "f1gp" hierarchy. With NCSA 1.4 I decided to make a "MOVED"
directory and populate it with some files telling people where to look
for the new stuff, and then created symlinks from the old names to
So far so good. Then we switched to httpd 1.5a. "Oh goodie!" I
thought, "I can use .htaccess redirects now." Bong!
The directory redirects as listed above work. I note that the paths
aren't fully translated but let's ignore that minor detail. Well, they
work... until I remove the symlinks (which was the whole point,
really). Oh dear, now they don't work at all; all I get is 404 Not
The single file redirect (the last one, home.html) doesn't work at all
under Linux. It does work under Ultrix, but again, only as long as the
symlink stays there.
Help! Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone got this working?
Thanks in advance...
2. use of timeout()
3. NCSA Httpd: Redirects at user level?
4. Problem upgrading to apache 1.3.22-1
5. Help: NCSA httpd, Redirect, and QUERY_STRING
6. INstalling gcc 2.95.2 on AIX 4.3.2
7. Need help redirecting requests with NCSA httpd 1.3
8. Problem mounting FAT32 partition
9. A NCSA httpd redirect question
10. Redirect with NCSA HTTPD 1.5.2 and .htaccess
11. Efficient Alias and Redirect table lookup in NCSA httpd?
12. Q: trailing slash and redirects from NCSA httpd to OSU
13. Redirecting in .htaccess for NCSA httpd 1.5a