Restart server when srm.conf modified?

Restart server when srm.conf modified?

Post by HK Ch » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00



Note: This is for NCSA httpd server.

Questions:

1) Is it necessary to restart the httpd program,
everytime the srm.conf is modified?

Eg.  Adding new entries to the ScriptAlias section??

2) If not, how does it knows when the next server request
will take into effect?

3) How to restart httpd server without ROOT intervention,
if the person in charge of httpd server maintenance does not
have root access?  Yes, the server has to run at port 80.

Thank you.

 
 
 

Restart server when srm.conf modified?

Post by Alain Magloi » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00



> Note: This is for NCSA httpd server.
> Questions:
> 1) Is it necessary to restart the httpd program,
> everytime the srm.conf is modified?

yes..

Quote:> Eg.  Adding new entries to the ScriptAlias section??
> 2) If not, how does it knows when the next server request
> will take into effect?

if the restart is succesfull.. immediately

Quote:> 3) How to restart httpd server without ROOT intervention,
> if the person in charge of httpd server maintenance does not
> have root access?  Yes, the server has to run at port 80.

what dont you do a c wrapper with setuid to root
something like
--------------------------
main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char **argv;
{
  execv("THE_COMMAND_YOU_WANT_TO_DO", argv);
Quote:}

----------------------------

the command could be a script or what ever doing
kill -HUP http_pid

Quote:> Thank you.

        There's probably other solution, lets see it :-)

--
ciao, alain

 
 
 

Restart server when srm.conf modified?

Post by George Manso » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00



> Note: This is for NCSA httpd server.
> Questions:
> 1) Is it necessary to restart the httpd program,
> everytime the srm.conf is modified?
> Eg.  Adding new entries to the ScriptAlias section??

What if you run the server inetd instead of standalone?

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
George Mansoor                                        Cal State Northridge

                                                        Tel:  818.717.5242

 
 
 

1. Can I define srm.conf, access.conf in httpd.conf ?

I defined ErrorDocument 403 /sorry.htm
in srm.conf, because I found this instruction in this file in a commented
line with examples.

I Found I can define ErrorDocument in httpd.conf file instead of srm.conf
I didn't know this.

What I don't know is, If I can define all my src.conf and access.conf inside
httpd.conf
or only some instructions.

Thanks

--

Gerardo Blanco

2. newbie question

3. newbie Q - modifying xinetd.conf - need to restart?

4. httpd - virtual host

5. ScriptAlias in httpd.conf versus srm.conf

6. remote X problem !

7. srm.conf, access.conf

8. More on 4.1.4 lockout.

9. srm.conf aliasing and the Sioux server

10. Would like to add a config file like srm.conf

11. Restart FTP daemon when modifying /etc/ftpaccess?

12. usage of Redirect on apache:srm.conf

13. Apache.. srm.conf help!