ANN: Apache web-based configuration manager

ANN: Apache web-based configuration manager

Post by Mark Shuttlewort » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi all

As part of the Sioux 1.1 dev effort we've developed a web based
administration interface... which we can easily repackage for
plain Apache 1.1.x.  We'd like to know if there is any interest
out there in such an offering.

You can view a snapshot in action at:

   https://www.thawte.com/SiouxCGI/sioux-conf-manager/config.sioux

Just mentally replace "Sioux" with "Apache" ;-)

Comments to me, please.

--
Mark Shuttleworth
Thawte Consulting cc.

1. Apache HTTPd Web-Based Configuration Scripts

Hi, I am pretty much an expert when it comes to Apache and running
httpd.  I know everything down cold.  My time has come where I must let
someone else take over my job.  Unfortunatly, due to popular demand,
Micro$oft and Netscape have come into the market with their products
which make running a web server easy.

A couple months ago I was looking into designing some web based
configuration scripts for Apache.  These scripts would allow me to
change server settings, make backups, rotate logs, analyze logs, and
also have multi-user access at different levels.  I could allow som
admins to add sites to the configuration scripts, but not delete them.
Some admins could only use the log analyzer, and not have access to
sensitive server settings.  This would basically be a user-friendly
interface for all major platforms.  It would support various versions of
Apache for different operating systems, different configurations, and
different servers.  This would save the time and risk of lost data or
configuration files if something like this could be made.

I am currently looking for a script like this.  It probably won't be as
advanced as what I am describing, but it would sure be worth it to see
something like this available.  This would probably be a major step for
Apache.  It would allow more people who are vetrans at Apache, but have
to move into mainstream applications that require a GUI for some ease of
administration.  Eventually this script will be able to handle account
setup/deletation, DNS, email aliases, and other simple scripts that can
be setup.

Right now, I am asking for a program like this (if there are any
available) that would help me out.  Anything that is web-based and easy
to train people with would be helpful.

I am also asking to get a team together to help me design this.  I am
not the best at programming, but I know my basics on how I need this
implimented.  If you are interested in something like this, please email

Thanks,
T.J. Weber

+ Hi, remember me?  I'm not married, I don't have any kids. +
+ And I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough.     +

2. why is idle time always 99:59 ???

3. proc owning socket

4. Integrated Development Environment

5. web-based system manager aix 4.3.1

6. Redhat 8 and my silly Toshiba

7. Web-based task manager on Solaris7?

8. Web-based System Manager

9. Web Based File Manager for Server?

10. $100 for advice on which Web based document manager to buy