Apache + PHP/FI + mod_perl incompatibilities

Apache + PHP/FI + mod_perl incompatibilities

Post by Paul Gre » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I've had a fun w/end trying to add in support for php and mod_perl to
our Apache1.2.0 (didn't want to go to 1.2.1 because of the solaris bugs)

Anyway, the short and curlies of it is that:

I upgraded to Perl 5.00402
Got Apache 1.2.1 and applied the Solaris HUP patch
Using: PHP/FI-2.0b12 mod_perl/1.0

Unfortunately mod_perl's installation method is ropey in that it runs from its
own dir and modifies the apache src Makefile - without you being able to
use the Configuration file (meaning it redefines SERVER_SUBVERSION).

So, I added in the PHP module and compiled to make sure it worked then
added mod_perl using its method (but modifying its subversion to still ref
PHP)

In the final link of the httpd you get the following:

ld: warning: symbol `Error' has differing types:
        (file ./libphp.a(error.o) type=FUNC; file /usr/local/lib/perl5/sun4-solaris/5.00402/CORE/libperl.so type=OBJT);
        ./libphp.a(error.o) definition taken

Looks like both mod_perl and PHP/fi are trying to use similarly named error
functions.

Fwiw, the server still compiled and runs fine - I just guess mod_perl error
logging wont work properly.

Also, Integrating mod_perl and PHP/fi into 'standard' Apache releases could
also make things much simpler.

Paul Gregg
--
 The Internet Business Ltd, Holywood House, Innis Court, Holywood, BT18 9HF

            Phone: +44 (0)1232-424190  Fax: +44 (0)1232-424709
           Eight out of every five people are math illiterates.

Apache + PHP/FI + mod_perl incompatibilities

Reposted due to a newsfeed problem with my provider.

Post by Frank Tropschu » Sat, 23 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> > | Fwiw, the server still compiled and runs fine - I just guess mod_perl error
> > | logging wont work properly.
> > |
> > | Also, Integrating mod_perl and PHP/fi into 'standard' Apache releases could
> > | also make things much simpler.

I've also compiled this beast on Solaris 2.5.1 (in that order):
Apache 1.2.0 + ssl1.8 (with SSLeay-0.8.0)
PHP/FI 2.0b12
mod_perl/1.00

Works, except for .phtml documents protected by .htaccess files that use
the Perl Apache::AuthenDBI interface -- all I get is a "Document
contains no data".  The debugging output from PHP (in /tmp/php.err)
remains empty, even though I get a 401 in the access log.  And the
debugging output works great with unprotected documents. Any ideas?

If it helps, I can send the mod_info output by mail...

Thanks,
trf

Performance Management Decentral Systems | +41-1-236-9823
Bahnhofstrasse 45, CH-8021 Zuerich       | EDSZ/EZIU/EPPD-TRF (VC 419)
Always do things in chronological order; it's less confusing that way.

1. Compiling mod_perl and php/fi for Apache

I'm having problems trying to compile in both mod_perl and php/fi into
Apache 1.2.5.  I already had php/fi compiled into Apache and decided
to try to add mod_perl, but it looks like both define "error" -- is
there a fix for this yet?  Versions I'm using: Perl 5.004, mod_perl
1.11, Php/fi 1.2b12.  I can probably move up in versions, but I'd rather
not (if I decide to change versions, our virtual hosting service has to
do it also).

Here's the error I get when I type "make" in the mod_perl directory:

ld: fatal: symbol `Error' is multiply defined:
        (file ./libphp.a(error.o) type=FUNC; file
/usr/local/lib/perl5/sun4-solaris/5.004/CORE/libperl.a(globals.o) type=OBJT);
ld: fatal: File processing errors.  No output written to httpd
make[1]: *** [httpd] Error 1

Tommy Tarka                    |                   http://scro.tm/~tommy

        "Ovaries are the mark of the DEVIL!!!"        - Kojack Sack, BH4

2. Very elegant stuff!

3. Apache+PHP+mod_perl configures ok, but Apache won't build

4. test..please ignore message

5. Problems with GDBM, PHP/FI and Apache under FreeBSD

6. Help with mkswap

7. Apache PHP/FI module on HPUX?

8. help with smtp and imap explaination

9. Apache 1.2.4 config/run problem with PHP/FI module.

10. PHP/FI 2.0.1 as Apache 1.3.6 module

11. php/fi as module in apache 1.2

12. APACHE with PHP/FI

13. Apache+SSL+PHP/FI+frontpage