PHP as Apache Module with user privilages

PHP as Apache Module with user privilages

Post by Ray Todd Steve » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I am looking into the extensive use of PHP on a server.  The server
will be running apache on linux.  This will be a server that supports
client web pages.  I would like to be able to set it up so that the
user php scripts run as the user.  The only way I can see that this
would work is to use it as a CGI script running under suexec.  This
doesn't impress me as being any better than letting everything run as
the default user.  Is there a way to make this work?
-------------------

Senior Consultant          RR # 14 Box 1400
Stevens Services           Bedford, IN  47421
Specializing in network and reliability consulting

1. Apache module or PHP module ?

Hi,

I have written a database tool on Windows as a COM components (module)
for ASP. This component simply help me display DB data in an ASP page
using templates (like ColdFusion, I guess), so DB access is written in
C++ and not in Javascript (or VBScript).

I switched to Linux recently and I would like to port my tool.

I think it is best for me to develop my web sites using Apache, PHP,
MySQL, but I still want to port my tool and access DB with C++, and
not let PHP do it, so I can still use my scripts and templates. (If
you have another suggestion, please tell me).

But I am bit confused now about what kind of module I should write.
First I thought that I should write a PHP module in C++ and call it in
PHP (like I am doing now, calling my C++ COM Components in my ASP
pages). Then I read about Apache modules.

Could someone explain me what is the difference between a apache
module and a PHP module, and what solution should be the best for my
problem ?

Mickael.

2. FAQ site for KSH, anybody?

3. Apache w/ PHP and SSL: w/ PHP OK - w/out PHP NOK

4. Weird LILO problem on reboot

5. Apache C-API: Obtaining user/password in Apache module

6. How do I get a newer Emacs binary without X support?

7. Apache PHP Module and DB2

8. General Question on App Installation

9. Please Help with PHP Apache module

10. Apache PHP module problem

11. Apache PHP/FI module on HPUX?

12. apache and PDF compiled into PHP module

13. Apache 1.2.4 config/run problem with PHP/FI module.