Geocities-like pop-ups

Post by Krys Wallba » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I've been asked to configure our Apache server to do the same thing
that Geocities (tm, (r), (c), whatever) does for our free web
accounts: When someone hits a web page hosted on our server, we'd like
an add banner pop up in the browser.

I've done some preliminary research, but am not sure how I should
proceed: set up a module for Apache (not that I'd have a clue how to
start that) or configure it to execute a Perl script each time it
serves up a request.

Ideally, I'd like this pop up to only activate on the common index
pages (index.html, .htm, etc) and not for every single web page that
comes.

Any ideas, hints, tips or snippets of code would be greatly
appreciated.

Krys Wallbank

Chief Monkey Boy
MightyBot Internet Robotics Inc

-=> Remove dontspam when replying <=-

Geocities-like pop-ups

Post by Scott Bro » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

>Hi all,

>I've been asked to configure our Apache server to do the same thing
>that Geocities (tm, (r), (c), whatever) does for our free web
>accounts: When someone hits a web page hosted on our server, we'd like
>an add banner pop up in the browser.

AFAIK, what Geocities does is done via Javascript embedded into the
web page.  It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the server,
though you could use an SSI script to control if/when the pop-up code
gets included in a page.

Geocities-like pop-ups

Post by Jonathan Baker-Bate » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

You could look at generating headers/footers from the server that contained
the necessary Jscript to launch a pop-up.

Can't remember exactly how Apache does this, but see the docs. Your next
problem will be to limit the pop-up to just index pages. Hmm.

JJ

Quote:> Hi all,

Post by Jerem » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

> I've been asked to configure our Apache server to do the same thing
> that Geocities (tm, (r), (c), whatever) does for our free web
> accounts: When someone hits a web page hosted on our server, we'd like
> an add banner pop up in the browser.

Please consider not doing that.  Put the banner right on the page itself;
pop-up windows are the worst kind of annoying.

Quote:> I've done some preliminary research, but am not sure how I should
> proceed: set up a module for Apache (not that I'd have a clue how to
> start that) or configure it to execute a Perl script each time it
> serves up a request.

> Ideally, I'd like this pop up to only activate on the common index
> pages (index.html, .htm, etc) and not for every single web page that
> comes.

I'd probably go the module route.  Write one that adds a header (or a
footer, or both) to the page if the filename is index.html or another
index-file name with no other leading path information -- for example, if
your main user directories are members.foo.com/~user/ then check if the
file is /~user/index.html or whatever.  That's assuming you just want the
main page to have the banner, not all index pages in subdirectories; if
you want all index pages to have the banner just check the filename part.

Having no clue how to start that is now an easily-solved problem.  Check
out the O'Reilly book "Writing Apache Modules With Perl and C".  It's an
excellent book.

--

"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"
                       --Obi-Wan Kenobi

Geocities-like pop-ups

Post by Alex Brow » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

IIRC most of these "services" are using Javascript pop-up windows, so the
road to go down would be to have the script added in a header/footer; I
suggest looking at this part of the documentation, and seeing if there's
antyhing there.

A.

> Hi all,

> I've been asked to configure our Apache server to do the same thing
> that Geocities (tm, (r), (c), whatever) does for our free web
> accounts: When someone hits a web page hosted on our server, we'd like
> an add banner pop up in the browser.

> I've done some preliminary research, but am not sure how I should
> proceed: set up a module for Apache (not that I'd have a clue how to
> start that) or configure it to execute a Perl script each time it
> serves up a request.

> Ideally, I'd like this pop up to only activate on the common index
> pages (index.html, .htm, etc) and not for every single web page that
> comes.

> Any ideas, hints, tips or snippets of code would be greatly
> appreciated.

> Krys Wallbank

> Chief Monkey Boy
> MightyBot Internet Robotics Inc

> -=> Remove dontspam when replying <=-

--
Alex Brown
Webmaster, Cable Internet

"Why should I care about posterity? What's posterity ever done for me?"
-- Groucho Marx