Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

Post by Mike Sco » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 00:18:59

This query refers to Apache 1.3.24 and mod_ssl 2.8.8-1.3.24, on
Solaris 8.

I am running a bunch of name-based virtual hosts on port 80 using a
wildcard in the NameVirtualHosts directive. I am load balancing across
a lot of real servers and want to have the same config files on each
server, so I don't want to have to specify the server IP address in
httpd.conf.

I now want to add an SSL virtual host on port 443. I know that I can't
have name-based virtual hosts with SSL, and I don't need them -- I
just need the one. But if I try to add a virtual host configuration
like:

<VirtualHost _default_:443>
    [SSL configuration stuff]
</VirtualHost>

I get the error message "mixing * ports and non-* ports with a
NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined
results".

Is there any other way I can have several name-based virtual hosts on
port 80, a single SSL virtual host on port 443 and not have to put the
server IP address in httpd.conf?

1. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

Hello.

Have been running 1.2b8 for a intranet and decided to move upto 1.3b2. I
have several name based virtual hosts that have been working under
1.2b8. After compiling and installing 1.3b2 my virtual hosts do not
work. In fact what happens is that even though DocumentRoot and default
server name is different, eg: www.serverA.net pointing to /www/default,
Apache 1.3b2 will always take me to the first defined virtual host as if
it's locked to it no matter what virtual host I try to browse. What
gives? Please post and E-Mail.

In /etc/hosts for my machines IP address I have

A.B.C.D         www.default.net www.virtA.net www.virtB.net

In ../conf/httpd.conf I have;

<VirtualHost www.virtA.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtA
ServerName www.virtA.net
ErrorLog logs/virtA.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtA.access.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.virtB.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtB
ServerName www.virtB.net
ErrorLog logs/virtB.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtB.access.log
</VirtualHost>

--

2. POP3 Client

3. Mixing IP-based and name-based virtual hosts?

4. /proc/meminfo not correct?

5. Apache 1.3.9/SSL multiple name and IP based virtual hosts

6. 2.5.44: Strange oopses triggered by pipe_write?

7. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

8. Why 2 PIDs on rlogins?

9. Name Based Virtual Hosting - Unable to access Virtual domain from IE/Lynx

10. Appropriate HTTP Error Code for "No Default Host" in Name-Based Virtual Host Setup

11. Help! SSL & Named Based Virtual Hosting

12. SSL / name-based virtual hosts

13. Can I use SSL with name-based virtual hosts?