Help with APACHE and $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}

Help with APACHE and $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}

Post by Ryan Gralinsk » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Can someone please tell me why when i execute a CGI script
(In a directory that required authentication with .htpasswd)
it does not know what $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} is
?
 it is just blank.. Please help
Ryan

Help with APACHE and $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}

Post by Ryan Gralinsk » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

ok i juts noticed that
if i do it like this
http://www.....com/rlogin/blah.cgi

then it knows the REMOTE_USER
BUT
if i POST to the cgi with a form it does not know...
how can i get it to work by posting to the CGI script?

Ryan

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>ok i juts noticed that
>if i do it like this
>http://www.....com/rlogin/blah.cgi

>then it knows the REMOTE_USER
>BUT
>if i POST to the cgi with a form it does not know...
>how can i get it to work by posting to the CGI script?

It is possible that you <Limit GET> but not POST.  Drop the <Limit> tags
completely if you want to password protect ALL access.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

Help with APACHE and $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}

Post by Ryan Gralinsk » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

cool thanks i'll try!

>>ok i juts noticed that
>>if i do it like this
>>http://www.....com/rlogin/blah.cgi

>>then it knows the REMOTE_USER
>>BUT
>>if i POST to the cgi with a form it does not know...
>>how can i get it to work by posting to the CGI script?

>It is possible that you <Limit GET> but not POST.  Drop the <Limit> tags
>completely if you want to password protect ALL access.

>>>Can someone please tell me why when i execute a CGI script
>>>(In a directory that required authentication with .htpasswd)
>>>it does not know what $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} is
>>>?
>>> it is just blank.. Please help
>>>Ryan

>--

>http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
>http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. Apache/CGI: $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} and POST

If I POST to a CGI script it seems that the above environment variable is not
available (Apache 1.3.1 on Linux, however, have seen this also on older
Apache and BSDI). It's only available if I execute a script directly.

I assume this is not a bug?
So, what's the reason and is there any way to catch it, anyway?

Kai

--

Kai Sch?tzl, Berlin, Germany
ClubWin - Help for Windows Users: http://www.clubwin.com

2. Printer-Setup, here: PCL-3

3. $user= $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}; returns NULL

4. ip masq help

5. ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}

6. Linux-3D-package

7. Setting 'REMOTE_USER' from Apache server

8. Resuming FTP's "get"ting???

9. Apache 065 doesn't gice CGI scripts REMOTE_USER

10. pd-ksh/zsh won't inherit '747=jet' env var?

11. ENV=$HOME/.kshrc export ENV doesn't work?

12. Can 'require' override 'allow'/'deny' (Apache)

13. Apache Custom Error Messages, can't pull from env