Prob: Apache 1.2.5 VirtualHost

Post by Jim McCulla » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

: I'm trying to get non-ip virtualhosts to work on my Red Hat Linux 5.0 box.
: I've added the following to my /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file (domain names
: changed to protect the innocent);

   I think the feature you want (NameVirtualHost) is supported only in
Apache 1.3 (which is in beta).  I'm using that here (www.uah.edu, the
main web server, and exponent.uah.edu, the student newspaper) to have a
single web server callable by two different names.  It took me several
tries (and some help from this newsgroup) but I finally got it to work.

Jim

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
* James H. McCullars                 I Phone: (205) 890-6347 x238         *
* Director of Systems & Operations   I Fax:   (205) 890-6643              *

* The University of Alabama          I -----------------------------------*
*    in Huntsville                   I                                    *
* Huntsville, AL 35899               I This space for rent - CHEAP!       *
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*

Post by Marc Slemk » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>: I'm trying to get non-ip virtualhosts to work on my Red Hat Linux 5.0 box.
>: I've added the following to my /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file (domain names
>: changed to protect the innocent);
>   I think the feature you want (NameVirtualHost) is supported only in
>Apache 1.3 (which is in beta).  I'm using that here (www.uah.edu, the
>main web server, and exponent.uah.edu, the student newspaper) to have a
>single web server callable by two different names.  It took me several
>tries (and some help from this newsgroup) but I finally got it to work.

Name based virtual hosts work fine in most cases in 1.2.  The thing
added in 1.3 is the NameVirtualHost directive, not the ability
to use name based vhosts period.

Prob: Apache 1.2.5 VirtualHost

Post by Marc Slemk » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>I'm trying to get non-ip virtualhosts to work on my Red Hat Linux 5.0 box.
>I've added the following to my /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file (domain names
>changed to protect the innocent);
>--cut--
><VirtualHost ratbag.foo.dom>

>DocumentRoot /home/httpd/ratbag
>ServerName ratbag.foo.dom
></VirtualHost>
>--cut--
>I also control the DNS server for my domain, so I've just added a CNAME entry
>for the new hostname to my DNS tables.
>Whenever I try and access http://ratbag.mydomain.org/ I get a 403 error (i.e.
>access forbidden). I don't understand why, as I've basically lifted the above
><VirtualHost> directive from the httpd.conf file on a Red Hat 4.2 box (also
>running 1.2.5), which I successfully setup to do the same thing a couple of
>months ago.

Is there anything in the error log?

Are you sure it is connecting to the right machine?  Since you don't
give real names it is very difficult to debug vhost problems.

Are you sure you don't have any Directory directives that deny
access?

Did you triple check the directory and all those above it and the
content are world readable?

Post by Jim McCulla » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

: Name based virtual hosts work fine in most cases in 1.2.  The thing
: added in 1.3 is the NameVirtualHost directive, not the ability
: to use name based vhosts period.

   Oops.

Jim

1. Really Wierd DNS / VirtualHost / HTTP Prob

Cobalt Raq 4 using name based Virtual Host of the format (shared single IP
for all domains):

<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xx.xxx>
ServerName www.foo.bar
...etc
</VirtualHost>

*some* domains are unavailable to me from a specific ISP via HTTP, but are
pingable and also available to FTP. The domain has been there for months,
and it's just stopped working. Other domains on the same server are
available to me through HTTP just fine.

*However* if I dial in using a different ISP, I can get the domain.

Just tried re-booting (you never know), and not a blind bit of difference. I
am told that similar thing happened with a different domain on the same
server a couple of days ago.

Any ideas?

--
Bluefoot
http://www.bluefootproject.com

2. passive mode client

3. Setup VirtualHost and httpd processes for each VirtualHost

4. speed of Sparc Classic

5. Default httpd.conf says Expected </VirtualHost> but saw </VirtualHost>

6. Samba Help

7. VirtualHost UserDir in apache 0.8.13?

8. Wallpaper under X

9. apache is redirecting virtualhosts to old addresses

10. Apache VirtualHost and DNS

11. Apache 1.3.0 Linux VirtualHost wierdness

12. Two secured - name based - virtualhosts in apache?

13. apache httpd.conf servername overiding virtualhost setting of the same?