Apache .htaccess and time-out

Post by Thomas Kuenzl » Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hello all together

I'm working with Apache 1.3.6 and restrict pages with .htaccess.
If somebody is logged in with username and password,  apache
gives him/her access as long as the browser works and he/she
is online.

My question:
How can I restrict this access with a time-out ? So that for instance
after 15 minutes the user has to log in again.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Thomas

Post by Rasmus Lerdo » Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>Hello all together

>I'm working with Apache 1.3.6 and restrict pages with .htaccess.
>If somebody is logged in with username and password,  apache
>gives him/her access as long as the browser works and he/she
>is online.

>My question:
>How can I restrict this access with a time-out ? So that for instance
>after 15 minutes the user has to log in again.

You can't.  You need to use a bit of server side scripting logic to
do this.  I suggest either PHP (www.php.net) or mod_perl (perl.apache.org).

-Rasmus

1. Apache 1.3.9 time outs don't work on SPARC Solaris

Once SIGALRM is delivered and caught in a SPARC Solaris Apache child
process, SIGALRM is blocked forever.

The easiest way to demonstrate this is to only use a very small number of
children and send each one an HTTP 1.1 request. The 1.1 request causes a
keep alive time out to be set. If it's still set to the default, the time
out will trigger at 15 seconds. (You can see the time out trigger if you are
telnetting to port 80.). Once a child receives its second HTTP 1.1 request,
the timeout will not trigger, ever, and the child is hung for all intents
and purposes.

I have searched for this bug in the Apache database and found no mention of
it. Any one else observed this behavior, or can any one else confirm/deny
the behavior? Thanks.

We are seeing this in Apache 1.3.9. The 1.3.12 code does not appear to
contain a fix.

umark -a output:

SunOS xxx 5.7 Generic_106541-10 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250

Mark

2. Mouse Turds

3. RPC time outs at boot time

4. Looking for info on Embedded LinuxPPC (VME and MBX)

5. fix VIA Rhine time outs (some)

6. old makewhatis script in /usr/openwin/man

7. Netscape time-outs

8. Outputting line number

9. named configuartion in a ppp setup - time outs

10. Socket to SMTP server - periodic time outs

11. SCSI Time Outs? Please Help.

12. Jserv time outs

13. * rwall and shutdown: rpc time-outs *