aWebVisit / aWebVisit-Map 0.1.6 : follow the links

aWebVisit / aWebVisit-Map 0.1.6 : follow the links

Post by Michel Dal » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

the new version of aWebVisit now supports configurable exclusion or inclusion
of URLs, hosts, entry points (e.g. for robots), partial removal or replacement
of URLs, etc. for those people who don't know or like pipes, grep, sed, awk,
..

And more important (IMHO), there is now a companion CGI program called
aWebVisit-Map that allows you to follow links from entry points to transit
points etc., and examine the links leading to and going from each visited
web page.

They can both be found at :
http://gallery.uunet.be/Michel.Dalle/awv.html

Tell me what you think about it,

Michel.

P.S.: if somebody could put the CGI somewhere on the web, I could refer
to it rather than to my limited sample output - no CGI here :-(

aWebVisit / aWebVisit-Map 0.1.6 : follow the links

Post by Dominique BERTHE » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi
I have upgraded our server to apache 1.3.4 on a SparcStation with Solaris 2.6
Do you know the best way for produce a html page (i.e. stat.html) with the
statistics of tje LogFiles
With apache 1.2.x I work with the analog freeware but it can't read my LogFiles
now
Thanx

--
\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//
 oo  oo  oo  oo  oo  oo  oo  00  oo  oo  oo  oo  oo  oo

Dominique BERTHET
Faculte des Sciences de Saint-Etienne
Equipe d'Analyse Numerique - CNRS UMR 5585
23, rue P. MICHELON 42023 ST-ETIENNE CEDEX 02
FRANCE
Tel : +33 (0)4.77.48.15.81
Fax : +33 (0)4.77.25.60.71

Post by Stephen Turne » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I have upgraded our server to apache 1.3.4 on a SparcStation with Solaris
> 2.6
> Do you know the best way for produce a html page (i.e. stat.html) with the
> statistics of tje LogFiles
> With apache 1.2.x I work with the analog freeware but it can't read my
> LogFiles now

Yes, it can. It can read the default Apache log files, and if you've used an
Apache CustomLog you can give analog a LOGFORMAT directive to tell it your
format. (As long as you're using analog 2.9beta or later).

--

  Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England
  "Ad infinitum, if not ad nauseam." (Interviewee, BBC Radio 4)

1. aWebVisit 0.1.2 - a Web Visit / Session analyser

For your information, aWebVisit 0.1.2 was released on 23/Jan/1999.

See http://gallery.uunet.be/Michel.Dalle/awv.html for details.

Blurb follows :

What is aWebVisit ?

It's a Perl script that analyses WWW logfiles for visitor information like :

      the most commonly used ENTRY points into the website
      the most commonly used EXIT points from the website
      the most frequently followed internal LINKS
      the average DURATION of each visit
      the average number of PAGES viewed PER VISIT
      the average TIME SPENT on each page
      the path of the LONGEST VISIT (in time and/or hits)

The reports are generated in HTML format for easy viewing (sample reports).

Downloading the latest version

You can download aWebVisit 0.1.2 from here (38 KB). It was released on
23/Jan/1999.

Installation and Configuration

Nothing is easier :

   1.copy awebvisit to any directory
   2.find out where your web server logfiles are located
   3.run 'perl awebvisit <logfile(s)>'
   4.have a look at the HTML output reports : awebvisitf.html

No need to change your pages or webserver (no SSI, CGI, referer log, cookies,
..).

Why use aWebVisit (instead of ...) ?

There are hundreds of logfile analysers in the world, but most of them
concentrate on 'basic' statistics like the number of hits per
hour, day, week or month, the pages with the most hits, the originating
domains etc. For a list of common tools, have a look at
DaveCentral or at CGI-Resources for instance.
These tools are great, but something is still missing : how do you know what
your visitors are actually DOING on your website ?
How do they navigate inside your website : do they just 'hit-and-run', or do
they walk through the site as you intended ? Which pages
tend to 'put off' your visitors so that they leave your website ?

Getting reliable visitor information has always been tricky. Some tools rely
on a specific SSI (server-side include) or CGI for each
page to keep track of visits, others use the referer log information, while
others work with cookies to keep track of sessions.
All of this is fine, but what of the logfiles you collected in the last few
months/years ? And do you even want to change your pages or
server for this ? The only non-intrusive way is to use referer information,
which is often standard on webservers, but this does not
really work for frames inside your website...

So, here we are with aWebVisit. It's easy, it's free, and it's yours for a
try-out. It may not be perfect (especially with AOL), but it'll
give you a good idea of what people do on your website.
If you're also interested in getting the 'standard' web statistics, try
Analog. If you want to find out which search engines led to your
website, try Relax. They're free too...

2. Help: NIS problem

3. aWebVisit 0.1.4 - new update for a Web Visit / Session Analyser

4. Load Balancing?

5. aWebVisit 0.1.5 - last update for a Web Visit / Session Analyser ?

6. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

7. aWebVisit 0.1.3 - Update to a Web Visit / Session analyser

8. HELP!! IDE/EIDE CD-ROM supports under Linux

9. aWebVisit - download works again

10. Sample logfiles for aWebVisit ?

11. Q: find command does not follow symbolic links unless you specify -follow ?

12. NCSA 142, Solaris, 'will not follow link' on non-link

13. find: cannot follow symbolic link sym-link