Using password protected pages with Apache?

Using password protected pages with Apache?

Post by Rob Buchana » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I am having problems configuring a password protected are using Apache
1.1.1.  I have looked for tutorials on the subject but have apparently
not found the correct information.  I am running Apache on FreeBSD.
Everytime I try to change the configuration files to enable the dbm
security features the server will not start.  I have recompiled several
times.  There has to be a step I am missing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rob Buchanan

Using password protected pages with Apache?

Post by Paul Sutto » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am having problems configuring a password protected are using Apache
> 1.1.1.  I have looked for tutorials on the subject but have apparently
> not found the correct information.  I am running Apache on FreeBSD.
> Everytime I try to change the configuration files to enable the dbm
> security features the server will not start.  I have recompiled several
> times.  There has to be a step I am missing.

What happens when the 'server will not start'? Does it say anything
at all? Is there anything in the error log?

The most common problem here is forgetting to compile in the
dbm module, or missing the 'Configuration' stage. Did you
(1) uncomment the mod_auth_dbm line from Configuration (2) run
./Configure and (3) run make and restart the server?

Paul
--
Paul Sutton, Technical Director, UK Web --- http://www.ukweb.com/~paul/
Apache Week: Latest news on Apache server... http://www.apacheweek.com/