apache / linux - setup ambiguities ... ??!!

apache / linux - setup ambiguities ... ??!!

Post by chris giannioti » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hello to all, but especially to someone who might have some insight
into an apache / linux setup issue ...

I'm neither totally new to nor totally skilled at apache and linux ;
I've been through all the manuals, writeups, how-to's and tutorials,
etc. that I could find on the net. (I have rtfm !) All have been
helpful (some very) but my current issue seems to lie somewhere in the
interrelation between apache and linux and is probably too specific to
have been addressed by a generalised presentation. I have two decades
of development experience but am relatively new to the linux / unix
world (on a professional basis).

I am requesting open comment / assistance because I'm at the limits of
my expertise and need the benefit of greater skills. The situation is
also thatI have persuaded my client to go for an all-linux server
setup and am a little afraid that the limits of my skills may be
misunderstood as limits of linux / unix in general ; therefore I'm in
the not too uncommon position of learning on-a-project while keeping a
client happy ...

The situation : I've installed a second ethernet card on the server.
The first is connected to the company LAN ; the second is connected to
the internet through an external firewall. The cards each have
separate IP addresses. When apache was configured to use eth0, all was
fine and pages were served to the internal LAN. Now I've changed
httpd.conf to use eth1 but the web server is unreachable from the
'net. The config of the two ethernet ports seems to be correct
(confirmed by both ifconfig and route) but I'm probably missing
something basic and obvious.

Commentary anyone ? All critique invited ...

This seems like the correct newsgroup, but please advise if I'm
mistaken.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

apache / linux - setup ambiguities ... ??!!

Post by adam » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Chances are you need the default route on that machine to go out the
internet connected ethernet interface.  (see routes with netstat -rn,
man route to change/delete/add routes).

What errors do browsers on the 'net give when trying to reach your
site?

-adam

> Hello to all, but especially to someone who might have some insight
> into an apache / linux setup issue ...

> I'm neither totally new to nor totally skilled at apache and linux ;
> I've been through all the manuals, writeups, how-to's and tutorials,
> etc. that I could find on the net. (I have rtfm !) All have been
> helpful (some very) but my current issue seems to lie somewhere in the
> interrelation between apache and linux and is probably too specific to
> have been addressed by a generalised presentation. I have two decades
> of development experience but am relatively new to the linux / unix
> world (on a professional basis).

> I am requesting open comment / assistance because I'm at the limits of
> my expertise and need the benefit of greater skills. The situation is
> also thatI have persuaded my client to go for an all-linux server
> setup and am a little afraid that the limits of my skills may be
> misunderstood as limits of linux / unix in general ; therefore I'm in
> the not too uncommon position of learning on-a-project while keeping a
> client happy ...

> The situation : I've installed a second ethernet card on the server.
> The first is connected to the company LAN ; the second is connected to
> the internet through an external firewall. The cards each have
> separate IP addresses. When apache was configured to use eth0, all was
> fine and pages were served to the internal LAN. Now I've changed
> httpd.conf to use eth1 but the web server is unreachable from the
> 'net. The config of the two ethernet ports seems to be correct
> (confirmed by both ifconfig and route) but I'm probably missing
> something basic and obvious.

> Commentary anyone ? All critique invited ...

> This seems like the correct newsgroup, but please advise if I'm
> mistaken.

> Thanks in advance,

> Chris

apache / linux - setup ambiguities ... ??!!

Post by Miguel Cr » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> The situation : I've installed a second ethernet card on the server.
> The first is connected to the company LAN ; the second is connected to
> the internet through an external firewall. The cards each have
> separate IP addresses. When apache was configured to use eth0, all was
> fine and pages were served to the internal LAN. Now I've changed
> httpd.conf to use eth1 but the web server is unreachable from the
> 'net. The config of the two ethernet ports seems to be correct
> (confirmed by both ifconfig and route) but I'm probably missing
> something basic and obvious.

1) Can you ping the machine from the internet?
2) What is the output of 'route -n' ?
3) Is the firewall configured to allow inbound connections to your server?
4) What do the relevant lines from your httpd.conf look like?

miguel

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

wrote in part:

Quote:>The situation : I've installed a second ethernet card on the server.
>The first is connected to the company LAN ; the second is connected to
>the internet through an external firewall. The cards each have
>separate IP addresses. When apache was configured to use eth0, all was
>fine and pages were served to the internal LAN. Now I've changed
>httpd.conf to use eth1 but the web server is unreachable from the
>'net. The config of the two ethernet ports seems to be correct
>(confirmed by both ifconfig and route) but I'm probably missing
>something basic and obvious.

Normally apache answers to any interface on the box unless you
specifically set it up to do otherwise.  For example mine answers to
localhost, its LAN name, or its internet name when connected with ppp
(static or dynamic IP).

Besides the other suggestions, one thing that can trip you up is if you
try to use a URL pointing to a dir, with a missing trailing slash.
Apache will try to correct your error by redirecting to the ServerName (or
hostname if not set) that it thinks it is, with the trailing slash.  Does
that hostname resolve on the internet?

A fix for that may be 'UseCanonicalName off' which will attempt to
redirect using the Host header provided by the browser.

It is also possible that your ISP (if not your own firewall) blocks
incoming traffic on port 80, although, your ISP should not do that for a
business account.

apache / linux - setup ambiguities ... ??!!

Post by cg » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Thanks to all who responded ... this is an attempt to cover all direct
questions and requests for more information.

Wrestled with the site today without a better result ...

- a browser trying to reach the site just times out ... ("connection
to blah.blah.blah.blah failed ...") ... to simplify things until I get
the site sussed out I've taken to only using the IP address.

- the firewall is definitely configured to allow bidirectional traffic
through port 80.

- the machine is pingable from the internet.

- as the site is at kindergarten level (until I get it working) I
don't think that CanonicalNames are an issue ... there's just a single
index.html there until I get to see it from outside ...

- I've attached (hopefully relevant) extracts from the httpd.conf file
and the output of route -n (as "rte").

Thanks again.

Chris

>> The situation : I've installed a second ethernet card on the server.
>> The first is connected to the company LAN ; the second is connected to
>> the internet through an external firewall. The cards each have
>> separate IP addresses. When apache was configured to use eth0, all was
>> fine and pages were served to the internal LAN. Now I've changed
>> httpd.conf to use eth1 but the web server is unreachable from the
>> 'net. The config of the two ethernet ports seems to be correct
>> (confirmed by both ifconfig and route) but I'm probably missing
>> something basic and obvious.

>1) Can you ping the machine from the internet?
>2) What is the output of 'route -n' ?
>3) Is the firewall configured to allow inbound connections to your server?
>4) What do the relevant lines from your httpd.conf look like?

>miguel

apache / linux - setup ambiguities ... ??!!

Post by Miguel Cr » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> - a browser trying to reach the site just times out ... ("connection
> to blah.blah.blah.blah failed ...") ... to simplify things until I get
> the site sussed out I've taken to only using the IP address.

And this happens when you use the IP address to reach the site? Are you
trying from inside your local network? Is it possible that there's a routing
problem preventing the client machine from reaching local
internet-accessible addresses?

If you haven't tried already, how about using lynx on a remote machine to
check the web page (or just telnet to port 80 from an outside machine - or
use a proxy like www.safeweb.com).

Quote:> - I've attached (hopefully relevant) extracts from the httpd.conf file
> and the output of route -n (as "rte").

These attachments don't seem to have made it.

In general, since you can connect from some places but not others, and with
some addresses but not others, I strongly suspect a routing issue, probably
external to your web server. The only exception would be if httpd was
configured to only answer certain addresses, which would be shown by netstat
or httpd.conf.

miguel

apache / linux - setup ambiguities ... ??!!

Post by cg » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:53:49

Miguel,

I can ping the server from home but, as at work, not connect to the
http server ... I'm certainly out of local routing issues from here

As the attachments didn't make it I'm inserting them here ...

- the output of route -n :

Table de routage IP du noyau
Destination     Passerelle      Genmask         Indic Metric Ref
Use Iface
192.168.1.10    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0
0 eth1
195.168.200.16  0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0
0 eth0
212.234.23.128  192.168.1.1     255.255.255.128 UG    0      0
0 eth1
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0
0 eth1
195.168.200.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0
0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0
0 lo
0.0.0.0         195.168.200.19  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0
0 eth0
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    1      0
0 eth1
0.0.0.0         195.168.200.19  0.0.0.0         UG    1      0
0 eth0

- all parts of httpd.conf that have been changed from default :

##
## httpd.conf -- Apache HTTP server configuration file
##

#
# appreciate the attention -- the lines below are probably
# not all relevant to the setup issue, but are all lines changed
# from the default config file ...
#

#
# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
# ports, in addition to the default. See also the <VirtualHost>
# directive.
#
#Listen 3000
#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
Listen 212.234.23.129:80

#
# ServerName: allows you to set a host name which is sent back to
clients for
# your server if it's different than the one the program would get
(i.e., use
# "www" instead of the host's real name).
#
# Note: You cannot just invent host names and hope they work. The name
you
# define here must be a valid DNS name for your host. If you don't
understand
# this, ask your network administrator.
# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP
address here.
# You will have to access it by its address (e.g.,
http://123.45.67.89/)
# anyway, and this will make redirections work in a sensible way.
#
#ServerName localhost
#ServerName www.nepnet.net
ServerName 212.234.23.129

#
# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory,
but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
#
###DocumentRoot "/home/httpd/html"
###DocumentRoot "/usr/local/www/html"
###DocumentRoot "/usr/local/www/site/html"
DocumentRoot "/usr2/www/site/html"

#
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
###<Directory "/home/httpd/html">
###<Directory "/usr/local/www/site/html">
<Directory "/usr2/www/site/html">

#
# Aliases: Add here as many aliases as you need (with no limit). The
format is
# Alias fakename realname
#
# Note that if you include a trailing / on fakename then the server
will
# require it to be present in the URL.  So "/icons" isn't aliased in
this
# example, only "/icons/"..
#
###Alias /icons/ "/home/httpd/icons/"
###Alias /icons/ "/usr/local/www/icons"
Alias /icons/ "/usr2/www/icons"

###<Directory "/home/httpd/icons">
###<Directory "/usr/local/www/icons">
<Directory "/usr2/www/icons">
    Options Indexes MultiViews
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

#
# ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server scripts.
# ScriptAliases are essentially the same as Aliases, except that
# documents in the realname directory are treated as applications and
# run by the server when requested rather than as documents sent to
the client.
# The same rules about trailing "/" apply to ScriptAlias directives as
# Alias.
#
###ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/home/httpd/cgi-bin/"
###ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/usr/local/www/cgi-bin/"
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/usr2/www/cgi-bin/"

#
# "/home/httpd/cgi-bin" should be changed to whatever your
ScriptAliased
# CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.
#
###<Directory "/home/httpd/cgi-bin">
###<Directory "/usr/local/www/cgi-bin">
<Directory "/usr2/www/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

# If the perl module is installed, this will be enabled.
<IfModule mod_perl.c>
###  Alias /perl/ /home/httpd/perl/
###  Alias /perl/ /usr/local/www/perl/
  Alias /perl/ /usr2/www/perl/
  <Location /perl>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::Registry
    Options +ExecCGI
  </Location>
</IfModule>

#<VirtualHost _default_:*>
#</VirtualHost>

#######
# Tomcat section ...
#######
#
#Include TOMCAT_HOME/conf/tomcat.conf
#Include /usr2/jakarta/tomcat/conf/tomcat.conf

Thanks for the attention.

Best,

Chris

Post by Miguel Cr » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:25:23

> I can ping the server from home but, as at work, not connect to the
> http server ... I'm certainly out of local routing issues from here

Perhaps you have configured some rules with ipchains that restrict access to
port 80? Witness:

  # nmap -sS -p 25,80,9999 212.234.23.129

  Interesting ports on mail.nepnet.net (212.234.23.129):
  Port    State       Protocol  Service
  25      filtered    tcp       smtp
  80      filtered    tcp       http

This is consistent with a connection that was dropped once the server (or an
intervening firewall) knew my IP address (which, for the record, if you see
me in your logs, is in the headers of this post).

miguel

apache / linux - setup ambiguities ... ??!!

Post by adam » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Can you maybe send an ipconfig -a?  Looks to me like your web server has
an incorrect default route.  If I'm reading this right, it looks like
the eth1 interface goes to your firewall (and the internet) while the
eth0 interface in the internal network.  You need your default route to
head out the eth1 interface.  Also, it looks like the Listen directive
in your httpd.conf is trying to listen to an IP that does not exist on
the web server?

-adam

> [...]

> >problem preventing the client machine from reaching local
> >internet-accessible addresses?

> >If you haven't tried already, how about using lynx on a remote machine to
> >check the web page (or just telnet to port 80 from an outside machine - or
> >use a proxy like www.safeweb.com).

> >> - I've attached (hopefully relevant) extracts from the httpd.conf file
> >> and the output of route -n (as "rte").

> >These attachments don't seem to have made it.

> >In general, since you can connect from some places but not others, and with
> >some addresses but not others, I strongly suspect a routing issue, probably
> >external to your web server. The only exception would be if httpd was
> >configured to only answer certain addresses, which would be shown by netstat
> >or httpd.conf.

> >miguel

apache / linux - setup ambiguities ... ??!!

Post by cg » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 08:34:01

Hi Adam,

Can't use ipconfig ... it's a Linux server ... still don't know what's
going on ... I'm beginning to suspect either a bad ethernet card
(unlikely, but ... ?) or a screwed up internal server config ...
thanks for the input : have removed the "listen" directive from the
config file ... it's ok if the server responds to any port 80 activity
... opening up the port is the current order of business ...

Thanks,

Chris

Post by Miguel Cr » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 14:26:08

> Can't use ipconfig ... it's a Linux server

'ifconfig' will provide the relevant info.

What happens if you telnet to the various IP address, port 80, from the
server itself?

miguel

apache / linux - setup ambiguities ... ??!!

Post by cg » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:41:20

Thanks to Miguel and Adam and David and all who contributed advice,
wisdom and solutions ... I sussed out the config issue as a few too
many default gateways in the routing table and a wrong netmask for the
'internet' leg of the LAN ... Apache is now working well and life is
nice ... The little Linksys firewall that we were using has stopped
working but that's the next and (small) final issue ...

Perhaps it's not susceptible to a quick and essential write-up, but
finding a good presentation of the routing table and the 'route'
proved to be almost impossible.

Thank you again and best wishes to you all.

Chris

>> Can't use ipconfig ... it's a Linux server

>'ifconfig' will provide the relevant info.

>What happens if you telnet to the various IP address, port 80, from the
>server itself?

>miguel

1. ambiguity with linux socket api

in many of the socket apis you have the following code

struct sockaddr_in client;
int clientSize = sizeof(struct sockaddr)

recvfrom(handle,buff,buffSize,MSG_WAITALL,(struct
sockaddr*)&client,&clientSize);

or similar

in the man pages it says the the size field must be the size of sockaddr in
some cases, or sizeof(client).

The problem is further compound by the fact that the two structures are not
at all overlapped. This begs the question
as to what will come out in client when this is called. Will I only have
sizeof(sockaddr) filled of my struct sockaddr_in ??

this situation perplexes me.

Chris

2. Microsoft "Outlook" should be named Microsoft "Lookout"

3. libm.so.1 ambiguity with SUNWspro

4. Q: RPC on TCP/IP not setting ACK bit

5. request->flags ambiguity

6. Redhat at boot: out of memoryVFS: cannot open root device

7. Sun C++ 5.2 Compiler Error: Overloading ambiguity

8. DIP Speeds

9. make world ambiguity

10. dns setup or apache setup?

11. dns setup or apache setup or neither?

12. Setup Linux + Apache + Virtual Server

13. ftp setup on Linux/Apache