Apache 1.3.20 CGI "stalling" problem

Post by Jon Yarde » Tue, 29 May 2001 02:31:47

I have recently upgraded to Apache 1.3.20 from a working Apache 1.3.14
installation and there seems to be a problem with cgi-bin execution.  What
appears to occur is that scripts are executing, but the output is not
getting through Apache 1.3.20 and back to the browser.  A process listing
shows the CGI script "hanging" in the process table.  After a short time,
the server becomes overloaded with script processes and the Apache process
has to be stopped and restarted.  A simple "apachectl restart" doesn't do it
- it has to be killed and restarted entirely.

The script I am having a problem with does not use file locking or even
writing to a file, so it's not that.  Basically, the script I have is a Perl
script that processes a form and reads another file to send back to the
browser.  Sometimes it works and data gets back, sometimes not.  For each
failure, a stuck CGI process happens.  This issue does not happen with
Apache 1.3.14, so it's a problem with Apache 1.3.20, not the script.

I can't be the only person having this problem.  Although I have downgraded
back to Apache 1.3.14 to fix the problem I would like to be using the latest
release.  I also thought a few other people might like to know that there
appears to be a problem.  I'm using RedHat 6.2 and compiled my own Apache,
so I am not using an RPM that might be geeked.  Ideas anyone?

Jon Yarden, System Administrator, BluegrassNet
---

--
Nearly every complex solution to a programming problem that I
have looked at carefully has turned out to be wrong.

Post by Reiner Dassin » Wed, 30 May 2001 15:38:04

> I have recently upgraded to Apache 1.3.20 from a working Apache 1.3.14
> installation and there seems to be a problem with cgi-bin execution.  What
> appears to occur is that scripts are executing, but the output is not
> getting through Apache 1.3.20 and back to the browser.  A process listing
> shows the CGI script "hanging" in the process table.  After a short time,
> the server becomes overloaded with script processes and the Apache process
> has to be stopped and restarted.  A simple "apachectl restart" doesn't do it
> - it has to be killed and restarted entirely.

> The script I am having a problem with does not use file locking or even
> writing to a file, so it's not that.  Basically, the script I have is a Perl
> script that processes a form and reads another file to send back to the
> browser.  Sometimes it works and data gets back, sometimes not.  For each
> failure, a stuck CGI process happens.  This issue does not happen with
> Apache 1.3.14, so it's a problem with Apache 1.3.20, not the script.

> I can't be the only person having this problem.  Although I have downgraded
> back to Apache 1.3.14 to fix the problem I would like to be using the latest
> release.  I also thought a few other people might like to know that there
> appears to be a problem.  I'm using RedHat 6.2 and compiled my own Apache,
> so I am not using an RPM that might be geeked.  Ideas anyone?

I would like to point out a similiar problem:
The following cgi-example (Perl) is working properly, but as soon as I
add the line

       use Pg;

(The Basic Module to get a connection to PostgreSQL)
the servers states:
Internal Server Error

unable to complete your request.

The perl script is as follows:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
#------------------------
use strict;
#use Pg;

#==========
# START:
#----------
# Schreibe Ergebnis in HTML
      $| = 1;
      print  STDOUT "Content-type: text/html\n";
      print  STDOUT "Pragma: no-cache\n";
      print  STDOUT "\n";
      print  STDOUT "<HTML>\n";
      print  STDOUT "<HEAD><TITLE>Aktuelle
Wetterwerte</TITLE></HEAD>\n";
      print  STDOUT "<BODY>\n";
      print  STDOUT "<HR>";
      print  STDOUT "This is a test!<br>\n";
      print  STDOUT "<HR>";
      print  STDOUT "</BODY>\n";
      print  STDOUT "</HTML>\n";
exit 0;

Any ideas?

( The OS is TRU64 V5.1)

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With best regards
   Reiner Dassing

Apache 1.3.20 CGI "stalling" problem

Post by <anonym.. » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:47:29

Oy...  I've heard some unpromising things about the later releases of
Apache.  I'm still using 1.3.14, since later versions seemed to have
too many outstanding bugs.

> I have recently upgraded to Apache 1.3.20 from a working Apache 1.3.14
> installation and there seems to be a problem with cgi-bin execution.  What
> appears to occur is that scripts are executing, but the output is not
> getting through Apache 1.3.20 and back to the browser.  A process listing
> shows the CGI script "hanging" in the process table.  After a short time,
> the server becomes overloaded with script processes and the Apache process
> has to be stopped and restarted.  A simple "apachectl restart" doesn't do it
> - it has to be killed and restarted entirely.

> The script I am having a problem with does not use file locking or even
> writing to a file, so it's not that.  Basically, the script I have is a Perl
> script that processes a form and reads another file to send back to the
> browser.  Sometimes it works and data gets back, sometimes not.  For each
> failure, a stuck CGI process happens.  This issue does not happen with
> Apache 1.3.14, so it's a problem with Apache 1.3.20, not the script.

> I can't be the only person having this problem.  Although I have downgraded
> back to Apache 1.3.14 to fix the problem I would like to be using the latest
> release.  I also thought a few other people might like to know that there
> appears to be a problem.  I'm using RedHat 6.2 and compiled my own Apache,
> so I am not using an RPM that might be geeked.  Ideas anyone?

> Jon Yarden, System Administrator, BluegrassNet
> ---

1. make zImage gives "internal compiler errors" on 1.3.20

We have several boxes running 1.3.20 from Slackware 3.0 and have just created another one.  When I try to compile a
new kernal on this new one, however, I get:

 gcc: internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 4

This doesn't happen at the same place each time I try.  If I erase the object file that whose compilation was interrupted
and restart make zImage, the file is compiled without error and the compilation continues for quite a while until another
such error arises--though the signal number isn't always the same (I've gotten 11 sometimes, and maybe others I didn't
note.)

So long as I erase the object file that was being worked on when the fatal error occurred, I eventually get the whole
kernal compiled without error--I may have to restart make zImage four times, though.  The kernal I create seems to
work fine.  I'm not aware of other problems with the machine, which I've been using rather extensively to back up other
Linux boxes by mounting their root directories with NFS and then tarring them to a SCSI tape.  I've also been using
telnet and ftp a lot, too.

The new box is larger than the others.  It's a Cyrix (I think) 486/DX4-120 with 12MB RAM and 1GB IDE hard disk of
which 75MB is a DOS partition, 50MB is a linux swap partition, and the rest is linux native, only 16% full.  It has an
AT-2000 10base-T card, and hercules mono-graphic video (really!).

Any suggestions as to what's wrong will be gratefully received.

Al

2. Dumb terminal won't respond to ansi. Just displays the code.

3. Problems with Solaris 8 (SPARC), apache 1.3.20, auth_ldap when starting apache

4. RH 5.0 x86 UDMA Controllers

6. PCI problems

7. Apache and "exec cgi", "exec cmd".

8. can several java distributions coexist?

9. An addition to the "Failed CGI" and "Error Log for Apache" threads

10. starting problems with Upgraded Kernel for SUSE 7.0 and apache 1.3.20

11. Apache 1.3.20 VHOST Problems

12. problem with apache 1.3.20 and ssl directives inside vhost containers

13. build problems with apache 1.3.20 and htpasswd utility