Need arguments, Unix vs NT for www/email server

Need arguments, Unix vs NT for www/email server

Post by Apple » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Rather than just ask a question that I'm sure has been debated 1,000,000,000 times, could someone direct me to an archive, URL or other location where I might find arguments of which is the better OS for an internet server- UNIX or NT?

1. FreeBSD Web servers (was Re: NT server vs workstation for WWW server)

    FreeBSD is available for downloading at ftp.cdrom.com (which
itself is an impressive machine running FreeBSD 2.0).  The 2.0.5
CD-ROM should be available RSN.  Run it on a $2000 486 box and you've
got a very nice Web server.  It also runs NCSA httpd 1.4 in pre-fork
mode, supports virtual network interfaces right out of the box (no
need for VIF patches, or limiting yourself to just two IP addresses)
and the commercial Netsite BSD server runs on FreeBSD.  Note that
Linux supports none of the above.  ;-)

   See http://140.109.40.248/~taob/Bench/ for some notes on FreeBSD as
a Web server (running Apache and NCSA httpd).

[comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows removed from followups]

2. q:solaris2.6 x86

3. UNIX vs NT E-Mail Server

4. keyboard setup?

5. NT WWW Server vs. Sun Sparc5 or SGI Indy Comparison Wanted

6. Can I compile with gcc if I have to compile with cc

7. Where is kernel 1.2.13 References ?

8. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

9. Linux vs Digital UNIX for our WWW server

10. Email server advice - UNIX, NT?

11. How to build WWW server and EMAIL server?

12. How to build WWW server and Email servers?