How to Optimize Apache for Slow Connection?

How to Optimize Apache for Slow Connection?

Post by Bill Dolso » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I'm running Apache 1.1.1 on Redhat 4.0 behind a 33.6 modem.  This is a
special interest site with <300 hosts, <10,000 pages hits /day.

1) RedHat ships Apache with HostNameLookups on.  Will it improve things
if this is turned off?  I can still have my statistics program lookup
names if a need a domain name report.

2) My current configuration has referer and agent logs being output.  I
am not sure why or what use they are.  If I should disable this must I
recompile, omit the directive in the .conf file, or send to /dev/null?

3) Anything else I can do?

4) This is a Linux question but how can I determine my modem connect
speed?  There is nothing in /var/log/messages about connect speed.

Thanks is advance
Bill Dolson

Post by Pawel Krawczy » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> 1) RedHat ships Apache with HostNameLookups on.  Will it improve things
> if this is turned off?  I can still have my statistics program lookup
> names if a need a domain name report.

Yes, this will both unload apache and named daemons. Statistics programs
can still resolve such logs. For example, I use analog for this purpose.

Quote:> 2) My current configuration has referer and agent logs being output.  I
> am not sure why or what use they are.  If I should disable this must I
> recompile, omit the directive in the .conf file, or send to /dev/null?

If you don't need them, then disable both. Some people use the data
for statistics. Just remove BrowserLog and RefererLog from httpd.conf.

Quote:> 3) Anything else I can do?

Make sure that you have IdentityCheck off in httpd.conf. Ident lookups also
take some time and load.

Quote:> 4) This is a Linux question but how can I determine my modem connect
> speed?  There is nothing in /var/log/messages about connect speed.

This depends on the software you're using.

--
Pawel Krawczyk, CETI internet, Krakow. http://www.ceti.com.pl/