IE5 intercepts 404 Error Message

Post by Robert Hallgr » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>I've just noticed that the new IE5 browser substitutes its own pages in place
>of my standard 404 and 500 error messages. I spent some time developing my 404
>page so that people who got to it stood a chance of finding information on my
>site. I would rather people saw my page than the one Microsoft provide which
>encourages people to use one of their annointed search engines.

Just make sure the custom error page is larger in file size than 512
bytes. IE5's "friendly HTTP error messages" function looks at the file
size to determine what to do -- showing the actual error page or
supplying its own. The default file size limit (on my system) is:

400: 512 bytes
403: 256 bytes
404: 512 bytes
405: 256 bytes
406: 512 bytes
408: 512 bytes
409: 512 bytes
410: 256 bytes
500: 512 bytes
501: 512 bytes
505: 512 bytes

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q218/1/55.asp

Robert

--

PGP: <http://www.lipogram.com/pgpkey.asc>

IE5 intercepts 404 Error Message

Post by Robert Hallgr » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>I've found some sites that display the server based 404 (such as Netscape)
>and others that get IE5's friendly version (such as Oracle). What do you see
>if you visit http://www.sco.com/xyz.html using IE5?

I get your custom made 404 page.

Robert

--

PGP: <http://www.lipogram.com/pgpkey.asc>

1. Error 404 and other custom messages.

We are using Apache 1.0.3 and would like to know how to set up a
custom error message to be displayed when the error 404, 401 and 500
occur. I have seen this done but do not know how to do it.

We are a domain on a multi-domain server. So the messages would have
to be ones that do not affect the other domains.

www.windows95.com is an example of custom message. He is housed on an
Identical system.

Thanks for any help in advance!

David Bernard
Webmaster - "The Delphi Information Connection"

http://www.delphi32.com

2. F50 I/O (parallel port question)

3. Website not found error message 404

4. X problem with keyboard mappng

5. Apache 1.3.14: Sporadic 403 and 404 error messages

6. Starmax 3000/180, problems with open firmware

7. Custom 404 error message in Apache

8. Bluetooth Subsystem PC Card drivers for 2.5.26

9. IE shows 404 page for 404 status response

10. IE 5.5 doesn't recognize custom 404 message

11. Customize 404 "Not found" message by directory

12. IE5 with friendly error messages set bypasses .htaccess checks

13. Setup Custom 404 Error page