Apache 1.3.0 access_log file not written

Apache 1.3.0 access_log file not written

Post by Vlad Podgursch » Sun, 12 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

I have a problem configuring Apache 1.3.0.  I've posted 2 other messages
with other 2 problems I am facing, so it would be easier to read.  If you
have time to take a look...

The problem is related to the log files.  I cannot make the server write
the access_log file, but only to the error_log, which works OK
System: Linux Slackware 2.0.27 / Pentium if it helps...

I have installed Apache 1.2 on another computer some time ago, and the
access_log file is written perfectly.  There was a TransferLog directive in
the httpd.conf file in 1.2 which, probably, made the things work fine.
In the default httpd.conf for 1.3.0 is another one, CustomLog, but doesn't
work in either access_log or referer_log/agent_log configurations.
What happened with TransferLog, which is included in the documentation for
Apache 1.3 on www.apache.org site?

This is what I have in httpd.conf related to the problem:

# >>>>>>>>Here is the format definiton for log files, which I didn't copy;
is the default one anyway...

# The location of the access logfile (Common Logfile Format).
# If this does not start with /, ServerRoot is prepended to it.

CustomLog logs/access_log common

# If you would like to have an agent and referer logfile uncomment the
# following directives.

#CustomLog logs/referer_log referer
#CustomLog logs/agent_log agent

# If you prefer a single logfile with access, agent and referer information
# (Combined Logfile Format) you can use the following directive.

#CustomLog logs/access_log combined

ServerRoot is /usr/local/apache/

The files are created at compiling time, so they exist on
/usr/local/apache/logs/ directory.
The permissions are set correctly (error_log in the same directory, with
the same permissions works OK).
I don't know what hapens...I ideas?

Thanks a lot for your time, help and patience!

thankfully,
Vlad Podgurschi.

(you know, newbie...  :-)

Apache 1.3.0 access_log file not written

Post by Jesus M. Castagnet » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

You still need a TransferLog directive. It is mentioned and its use
and implications clearly stated in the Apache documentation, that you
can see either on-line at www.apache.org or in your local Apache
installation.

It seems strange that you got a "standard" (read, installation created
by default) configuration setup w/o this directive. Now you can even
define your own custom log format and apply it to the regular
acces_log file or to a custom log file.

Good luck!

wrote (11 Jul 1998 23:02:53 GMT):

Quote:>Hi!

>I have a problem configuring Apache 1.3.0.  I've posted 2 other messages
>with other 2 problems I am facing, so it would be easier to read.  If you
>have time to take a look...

>The problem is related to the log files.  I cannot make the server write
>the access_log file, but only to the error_log, which works OK
>System: Linux Slackware 2.0.27 / Pentium if it helps...

>I have installed Apache 1.2 on another computer some time ago, and the
>access_log file is written perfectly.  There was a TransferLog directive in
>the httpd.conf file in 1.2 which, probably, made the things work fine.
>In the default httpd.conf for 1.3.0 is another one, CustomLog, but doesn't
>work in either access_log or referer_log/agent_log configurations.
>What happened with TransferLog, which is included in the documentation for
>Apache 1.3 on www.apache.org site?

<...big snip...>

>(you know, newbie...  :-)

Just the right amount :)

"Life is, ask no more" (Me :)
"Antispam? I know how to filter my e-mail" (Me, again :)
Pilot stuff & etc.:
  http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/1059/
Metalloprotein DB and browser:
  http://metallo.scripps.edu/index.html

1. Newbie: Apache doesn't write to access_log

Synopsis:  httpd delivers pages, but no requests are logged, although
access_log is created.

I'm running Apache 1.3 under Red Hat Linux 5.2.  I have it set up
locally for educational purposes, listening on localhost.localdomain
(127.0.0.1), and I don't have any virtual hosting set up.

It was working fine straight out of the box, but I'm afraid that in the
process of tinkering with Comanche (the GUI configurator), I screwed
something up, because now it has stopped writing to
/var/log/http/access_log.  (I stopped using Comanche and have stuck to
editing the .conf files with emacs.)

The funny thing is, Apache does write to error_log, which, incidentally,
doesn't indicate any errors.  If I delete access_log and then restart
the webserver, it creates a new access_log, but nothing gets written to
it when I open my browser and make requests on localhost.localdomain.
Pages are delivered just fine, but nothing gets logged.  I have checked
what I believe are the caching- and proxy-server-related directives, as
well as cleared my browser's  cache, to make sure that's not the
problem.

Some of the directives I have in http.conf:

-ServerName is commented out, as is BindAddress and the <VirtualHost>
directives at the end of the file.
-as is CacheNegotiatedDocs, ProxyRequest, and the Cache-related
directives
-LogFormat is properly specified:  LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b"
common
-as is CustomLog:  CustomLog logs/access_log common

And the log-related directives in access.conf:

- HostNameLookups is off
- IdentityCheck and CookieTracking are off, although I experimented with
turning them on, with no success.

Could there be some other directives that I'm overlooking?  Or maybe
there's something besides the .conf files?

If there's any source that has already answered this question, please
just point me there.  Thanks for your time if you can help me out!

- Mark Breedlove

2. Lexmark jetprinter driver

3. Help - APACHE access_log not working!

4. Newbie asks: Which Slackware Boot file for SCSI ??

5. access_log is not working in Apache/1.3.9

6. ZSH local variables memory management

7. host is not logging in access_log (Apache 1.3.19)

8. S3TrioV2 and PII LX

9. jakarta-tomcat logging like access_log file of apache

10. Apache Log File not getting written to

11. Perl CGI not writing to file in Apache on RHL 7.2

12. Remove entries from Apache web server access_log file

13. apache : file access_log with os and browser