Apache + Tomcat + Netscape = plain text output

Apache + Tomcat + Netscape = plain text output

Post by Mat » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 01:22:39

Using:

Apache 1.3.24
Tomcat 3.3.1
Netscape 4.79 and 6.2 (same result)

Tomcat is connected to Apache using mod_jk. Our application on Tomcat
is accessed via a single entry servlet (i.e. no JSP pages are directly
acccessed).

Connecting to the application through Apache or directly through
Tomcat with IE works perfectly (testing with 5.0, 5.5, and
6.0).Attempting to access the application with Netscape directly
through Tomcat works fine. The expected HTML is retrieved and
displayed in exactly the same manner as it is in IE. When we attempt
to connect to the application with Netscape through Apache, the
response is rendered in the browser as plain text.

Accessing Tomcat directly with Netscape does not show the problem so I
am assuming that the issue has to do with the Apache's interaction
with Tomcat, but honestly, I have no idea. I have scoured the usenet
for a potential answer, but I am stumped.

I am enclosing the relevant section of my configuration file (the
<VirtualHost> section). Thanks for any help you might be able to
offer.

Matt Welch

-----------------------

<VirtualHost *>
        DocumentRoot /docrootlocation
        ServerName demo.server.com
        JkMount /coachlms ajpdemo15
        JkMount /coachlms/* ajpdemo15
        <Location /coachlms/WEB-INF/>
            AllowOverride None
            deny from all
        </Location>
</VirtualHost>

Apache + Tomcat + Netscape = plain text output

Post by Nikola Milutinovi » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 14:13:45

Quote:> Using:

> Apache 1.3.24
> Tomcat 3.3.1
> Netscape 4.79 and 6.2 (same result)

> Tomcat is connected to Apache using mod_jk. Our application on Tomcat
> is accessed via a single entry servlet (i.e. no JSP pages are directly
> acccessed).

> Connecting to the application through Apache or directly through
> Tomcat with IE works perfectly (testing with 5.0, 5.5, and
> 6.0).Attempting to access the application with Netscape directly
> through Tomcat works fine. The expected HTML is retrieved and
> displayed in exactly the same manner as it is in IE. When we attempt
> to connect to the application with Netscape through Apache, the
> response is rendered in the browser as plain text.

> Accessing Tomcat directly with Netscape does not show the problem so I
> am assuming that the issue has to do with the Apache's interaction
> with Tomcat, but honestly, I have no idea. I have scoured the usenet
> for a potential answer, but I am stumped.

Try to telnet to the Apache port (80) and try to retrieve the desired
response manually. There could be something wrong with "Content-type:" HTTP
header.

Nix.

Apache + Tomcat + Netscape = plain text output

Post by Mat » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 23:24:12

Apparently Tomcat serves up the response with a html content header by
default. apache doesn't. Setting the content header explicitly solved
my problem. Thanks.

Matt Welch

> > Using:

> > Apache 1.3.24
> > Tomcat 3.3.1
> > Netscape 4.79 and 6.2 (same result)

> > Tomcat is connected to Apache using mod_jk. Our application on Tomcat
> > is accessed via a single entry servlet (i.e. no JSP pages are directly
> > acccessed).

> > Connecting to the application through Apache or directly through
> > Tomcat with IE works perfectly (testing with 5.0, 5.5, and
> > 6.0).Attempting to access the application with Netscape directly
> > through Tomcat works fine. The expected HTML is retrieved and
> > displayed in exactly the same manner as it is in IE. When we attempt
> > to connect to the application with Netscape through Apache, the
> > response is rendered in the browser as plain text.

> > Accessing Tomcat directly with Netscape does not show the problem so I
> > am assuming that the issue has to do with the Apache's interaction
> > with Tomcat, but honestly, I have no idea. I have scoured the usenet
> > for a potential answer, but I am stumped.

> Try to telnet to the Apache port (80) and try to retrieve the desired
> response manually. There could be something wrong with "Content-type:" HTTP
> header.

> Nix.

1. Why do Netscape display plain text on apache?

Hi there
I hope someone can help me with this small problem.
I have installed an apache server on my linux redhat 5.2 box
When using Netscape from a win95 client to browse on my linuxbox all
files with extension htm displays as plain text. I have tried to look in
the srm.conf file on the server and it all looks okay.
Also the settings on my netscape looks okay with the mime type set to
html whenever the extension is htm.
I should add that I have no problems with IE4 or IE5
Robert

2. mutex not held

3. How do I direct man output to a plain text file

4. Username/Password limit on web authorization

5. Apache and IE: viewing plain text log files

6. Cyrix P166+ for FreeBSD

7. VirtualHost enabled causes Apache to crash Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

8. bug with GNU-find command on Windows NT..

9. text/plain text plugin necessary?

10. Apache 1.0.3 forces all docs to text/plain

11. Apache sending .htm as plain text...

12. Apache servering up page as plain/text

13. Apache occasionally serving CSS files as plain text