What is "Partial Content" in relation with file download?

What is "Partial Content" in relation with file download?

Post by attila Kova » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 16:39:51

I have a question about the result code: 206 partial content.
I get many of this result code from visitors who try to download my .mp3 files.
It seems that they can not get the music. After analysing the statistics, they
 only get a few bytes instead of 4 MB (the contetnt of one mp3 file).I
have used a Mac encoder and uploaded the files as raw files.

What do you think the reason could be?

Thank you for your time.

Attila Kovacs
Musician-Songwriter (alternative pop, rock and instrumental music)
http://www.atko.dk

--

http://inet.uni2.dk/~attila

Post by Christoph Voge » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 22:11:49

> I have a question about the result code: 206 partial content.
> I get many of this result code from visitors who try to download my .mp3
files.
> It seems that they can not get the music. After analysing the statistics,
they
> only get a few bytes instead of 4 MB (the contetnt of one mp3 file).I
> have used a Mac encoder and uploaded the files as raw files.

Are you really sure they don't get the files entirely? "Partial content" is
not an error message at all but belongs to the group of 2xx status codes
("Successful"). It usually means they just had a part of the file and
request the file again. The requests include a range header field providing
where to start over. Status code 206 often occures if your visitors use a
download manager or there is a piece of the requested file in their
browser's cache (depending on the browser).

Regards,

Christoph.