netscape enterprise 3.5.1 and chroot

Post by Jay Goldber » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone gotten Netscape Enterprise Version 3.5.1 running in a
chrooted
environment? I am having lots of problems trying to get it up and
running.
I will send config files and directory layouts to anyone who is willing
to help me!

Thanks
Jay

Post by Greg Hennes » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Has anyone gotten Netscape Enterprise Version 3.5.1 running in a
>chrooted
>environment? I am having lots of problems trying to get it up and
>running.

Dont, When I talked to Netscape about it,  it's not a supported
configuration.  I had get this out of them after an Idiot security bod
where I worked saw an article about doing it in SunworldOnline and
thought 'Oh what a good Idea, I will make it mandatory' without
examining/knowing the consequences.

greg

Post by Marc Slemk » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>>Has anyone gotten Netscape Enterprise Version 3.5.1 running in a
>>chrooted
>>environment? I am having lots of problems trying to get it up and
>>running.
>Dont, When I talked to Netscape about it,  it's not a supported
>configuration.  I had get this out of them after an Idiot security bod
>where I worked saw an article about doing it in SunworldOnline and
>thought 'Oh what a good Idea, I will make it mandatory' without
>examining/knowing the consequences.

Just because Netscape doesn't want to support it doesn't mean it
is a bad idea or that it won't work just fine.

netscape enterprise 3.5.1 and chroot

Post by Greg Hennes » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Just because Netscape doesn't want to support it doesn't mean it
>is a bad idea or that it won't work just fine.

Thats fine :-) until it all goes horribly wrong at 3am & the boss is
looking for someones arse to kick because it was hosting a business
critical service. I have always found the that the tech support
departments of large vendors will tend to wash their hands of the
problem if the product is not setup/configured in a supported manner.

greg

Post by Marc Slemk » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>>Just because Netscape doesn't want to support it doesn't mean it
>>is a bad idea or that it won't work just fine.
>Thats fine :-) until it all goes horribly wrong at 3am & the boss is
>looking for someones arse to kick because it was hosting a business
>critical service. I have always found the that the tech support
>departments of large vendors will tend to wash their hands of the
>problem if the product is not setup/configured in a supported manner.

I have always found that they tech support departments of large vendors
will tend to wash their hands of the problem whenever they feel like
doing so; claiming it is an unsupported configuration is just an excuse.
I'm sure if they didn't have that excuse to use, they could make up a
different one.

netscape enterprise 3.5.1 and chroot

Post by Greg Hennes » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have always found that they tech support departments of large vendors
>will tend to wash their hands of the problem whenever they feel like
>doing so; claiming it is an unsupported configuration is just an excuse.
>I'm sure if they didn't have that excuse to use, they could make up a
>different one.

However ,if one is paying large sums of money for support & the
product is in a supported configuration, once can get the a/c manager
in & deliver a good kicking.

greg

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> However ,if one is paying large sums of money for support & the
> product is in a supported configuration, once can get the a/c manager
> in & deliver a good kicking.

By which time the Apache user would have fixed the problem, learned
a new trick, and had a nice hot cup of <whatever>.

netscape enterprise 3.5.1 and chroot

Post by Greg Hennes » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 21:56:51 +0100, "Alan J. Flavell"

>By which time the Apache user would have fixed the problem, learned
>a new trick, and had a nice hot cup of <whatever>.

Valid point, however I have found that management types do not like
software that does not have cast in stone vendor support contracts. I

because of this. Regretable that this is ( I do like apache). This is
the case with large organisations.

greg

netscape enterprise 3.5.1 and chroot

Post by Jay Goldber » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

That really doesn't help me. I do have a chrooted environment running on
HPUX
Virtual Vault, but the OS install took care of that. I am trying to setup
one up on
a Solaris 2.5.1 box. What do you mean Netscape doesn't support it? It's in
their
admin interface as an option and it created an entry in the magnus.conf
config
file. The reason I have no choice in the matter is not one of policy here
is that
I am writing a product that installs ontop of a netscape server and if it
is running
in a chrooted environment I need to support that as well as a normal
environment.
I have the code written, I just need to get a server running so that I can
test my
code. :)

Jay

Post by Wolfram Schmi » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

[...]
]

If you are unable to even start the server:
The problem is with the watchdog program. The fix was supposed in the F-
patch. This patch got skipped when the SSL bug was disoverd. It was then
probised by our vendor for 3.5.2. Then for 3.6 which seems to be available
now (wasn't a few days before, I was looking two to three times a week).
I have not yet downloaded 3.6 to see if they finally fixed it. If not
I will not renew our server supscriptions...

To get 3.5 1 running you'll have to change ../suitespot/https-foobar/start.
Change "PRODUCT_BIN=uxwdog" to "PRODUCT_BIN=ns-httpd".
You will loose the watchdog but for our server this seems not to be
a problem. Many Servers, 1 crash in 3 months (of course the most heavily
used one (the only one with a load worth mentioning)).

--

Voice: +49 711 970 2431
Fax: +49 711 970 2401

1. Oracle WRB + Netscape Enterprise server with chroot

Hello!

I am trying to set up the Oracle Web Request Broker v. 3.0 to use
the Netscape Enterprise v. 2.01 listener. This is quite easy using
the Oracle Admin Server. The problem arises when we try to do a
chroot on the Netscape server.

The WRB is installed under /local/oracle/.../ows/3.0
and the Netscape server is installed under /local/www/netscape.
The Netscape server does a chroot to /local/www/.../Nex_xxx.
I have registerd and configured the Netscape listener in the
Oracle Admin Server.

When I try to start the Netscape listener with the following command:
        #owsctl start test

I get the following output:
Netscape Communications Corporation
Netscape-Enterprise/2.01
[17/Jun/1997:15:15:43] info: ndwfnain_init reports: Adapter services initialized successfully
startup: listening to port 83 as www

Everything look fine, but the listener shuts down after one or two
seconds. There are no messages in the logs.

If anyone has done this before, I would really like to hear from you.

Another short question:
Is it possible to use chroot with the Oracle Web listener?
If that is possible, we probably wouldnt have to use Netscape Enterprise.

Thanks for all help.

_____________________
Thor-Ivar Skofsrud
Telenor Nextel AS

2. Problems running olvwm

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. LaserJet4p power off not recognized

5. chroot+Apache: possible to place logfiles outside chroot cell?

6. Uninstall X?

7. BIND config tool + How do I select between chroot and no chroot?

8. root export to CNAME?

9. Running chroot applications in a chroot environment

10. chroot & Netscape

11. netscape in chroot-environment ???

12. How to chroot a netscape enterprize 3.0 server?

13. Netscape Enterprise Server - cache and threads problems