http://localhost/~username setup (newbie question)

Post by Good No » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 13:01:38

hi everyone,

This is for all users, their permission settings are correct
(711/755), and their groups are set to "Apache". But after I did
something to the Apache Configuration in X-Windows (couldn't remember
what I did), the Apache server is not working properly.

If the user account DOES exist and index.html IS in their public_html
directories, the requests to http://localhost/~username are
re-directing to netscape search page, (or
http://www.localhost.com/~username - 404 file not found in Galeon).

If the user account DOES NOT exist, it will normally display 404 file
not found message.

Any idea what went wrong? Thank you!

http://localhost/~username setup (newbie question)

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 12:18:26

Quote:> hi everyone,

> This is for all users, their permission settings are correct
> (711/755), and their groups are set to "Apache". But after I did
> something to the Apache Configuration in X-Windows (couldn't remember
> what I did), the Apache server is not working properly.

> If the user account DOES exist and index.html IS in their public_html
> directories, the requests to http://localhost/~username are
> re-directing to netscape search page, (or
> http://www.localhost.com/~username - 404 file not found in Galeon).

> If the user account DOES NOT exist, it will normally display 404 file
> not found message.

> Any idea what went wrong? Thank you!

2 problems:

Incomplete URL being redirected.  See apache docs for UseCanonicalName.

Stupid "Smart"browsing in Netscape.  Disable Smartbrowsing and "What's
Related".  However, Netscape 6 does not seem to have any way to kill the
search when you enter what it thinks is not a fully qualified hostname.
You could always try http://127.0.0.1/~username/ or a different browser.
Or localhost.localdomain or localhost.local, depending upon what is in
your /etc/hosts.  I cannot tell if it only uses DNS because I run my own
DNS.

1. http://localhost/~username HOWTO

You don't mention what server you're using, so I'll go with the odds
and guess Apache.  What does the UserDir directive in srm.conf say?  If
it says "public_html", then the directory is ~username/public_html.
Don't forget to send a HUP or USR1 signal to httpd after making the
changes.  You could also kill & restart it, but that's overkill on most
systems.

*.conf-dist are distributed with the Apache source code as base
configuration files; *.conf are the files used by the webserver.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.dimensional.com/~mfuhr/

2. Installation

3. using http://server/username instead of http://server/~username

4. ATI AllInWonderPro TV VGA Card Success on linux

5. http://locahost/~johndoe/ VS. http://localhost/%7Ejohndoe/

6. Brother HL-630 setup (Help)

7. Apache problem: Can see http://localhost/ but not http://ipaddress/

8. Seagate ST31276A EIDE HDD - 0K disk cache?!?

9. setting up httpd://localhost/~username

10. Newbie question: Can't connect to Apache server from non-localhost

11. Newbie question on su - username -c and profiles

12. apache-ssl: how to setup two versions of server, http:// and https:// ?

13. so simple but: why doesnt http://localhost/ work?