'Could not spawn child process' problem with Apache 1.26

'Could not spawn child process' problem with Apache 1.26

Post by Alan Patefield-Smit » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I have a copy of apache 1.26 and perl 5.004 running on an RS6000 with
AIX4.21(its a dual 166 with 256mb of ram).

My problem is that under normal load everything is peachy and works
fine, but as soon as the server gets busy Apache won't execute my PERL
CGI scripts and puts the 'Could not spawn child process' in the error
log.

I've tried increasing a few of the usual settings a bit e.g.
MaxKeepAliveRequests 120
MinSpareServers 10
MaxSpareServers 20.
MaxClients 200

This hasn't really worked, do I need to go higher? or is there another
problem? I'm getting the error once I get to about 70,000+ page requests
a day or 60+ child servers running, the server will still dish out flat
files, and will exec cgi's again if I do a graceful restart. Also, the
AIX box is not really stressed out - it's not io or cpu bound.

Any ideas/solutions much appreciated

Alan

'Could not spawn child process' problem with Apache 1.26

Post by Marc Slemk » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi
>I have a copy of apache 1.26 and perl 5.004 running on an RS6000 with
>AIX4.21(its a dual 166 with 256mb of ram).
>My problem is that under normal load everything is peachy and works
>fine, but as soon as the server gets busy Apache won't execute my PERL
>CGI scripts and puts the 'Could not spawn child process' in the error
>log.

This is almost certainly your OS restricting the number of processes.
Check your ulimits before starting Apache, check your kernel config
for number of processes, etc.

Post by Shane Owen » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>>Hi

>>I have a copy of apache 1.26 and perl 5.004 running on an RS6000 with
>>AIX4.21(its a dual 166 with 256mb of ram).

>>My problem is that under normal load everything is peachy and works
>>fine, but as soon as the server gets busy Apache won't execute my PERL
>>CGI scripts and puts the 'Could not spawn child process' in the error
>>log.

>This is almost certainly your OS restricting the number of processes.
>Check your ulimits before starting Apache, check your kernel config
>for number of processes, etc.

Marc is *exactly* correct, in SMIT go to
System Environments ->Show/changs characteristics of OS
Then you will see where to make the modifications.
Shane

Post by Brian Tieman » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> This hasn't really worked, do I need to go higher? or is there another
> problem? I'm getting the error once I get to about 70,000+ page requests
> a day or 60+ child servers running, the server will still dish out flat
> files, and will exec cgi's again if I do a graceful restart. Also, the
> AIX box is not really stressed out - it's not io or cpu bound.

        What are the user limits for root and for your webserver user ("nobody"
or "www" or whatever)?

        List them with "ulimit" (for sh/bash-style shells) or "limit" (for
csh-style).

        On my FreeBSD box, I found I had to increase root's curproc setting
from 64 to a safe value (256). You may need to do the same for the
webserver user.

Brian

1. Apache problem: Not enough space: couldn't spawn child process

I'm running Solaris 8 with Apache 1.3.9.

The websites hosted are what some might consider high traffic, in excess of
5 million impressions a month.  Everything works fine until the max httpd
processes exceed about 120.  At that point, all cgi scripts on all websites
result in (12)Not enough space: couldn't spawn child process: (script file)"
The server is a sun sparc 20 with +310 RAM and only runs apache on it, so I
can't see why this is happening.  The servers max users and processes are
plenty, apache is configured for a good amount of traffic, higher than the
default.  I've tried a thousand things and none seem to work.  From my
research, this error is output from the perl programs forking, and not
having enough space (I have no idea what "space" it is refering to), which
causes mod_cgi to output the error.  The server resources are fine, and
everything but apache works perfectly.  Even apache works fine before that
120ish mark of processes.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

2. User Restriction

3. Apache and 'couldn't spawn child process'

4. Public access on my machine(dial-up).....

5. Linux and asus p5a

6. Why Apache says 'reason: couldn't spawn child process'?

7. IpChains

8. Couldn't spawn child process - Apache webserver problem on FreeBSD system.

9. Apache can't spawn child process

10. No such file or directory: couldn't spawn child process: e:/apache/htdocs/test.pl

11. Apache 1.3.3 - "Resource temporarily unavailable: couldn't spawn child process"

12. Apache couldn't spawn child process