Can't start Netscape server on port 80 as a non-root non-nobody user.

Can't start Netscape server on port 80 as a non-root non-nobody user.

Post by John Kimba » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to get a new SUN Intranet server up.  Whenever I start Netscape
Enterprise server on port 80 as user webman (who doesn't belong to group 0
or nobody) and try to access a page, my Netscape browser seems to go into
an infinite loop of Connect/Tyring To Contact messages.

If I choose port 81, 7999, or 8000, everything is fine.

If I start the server as root or nobody everything is fine.

What's going on?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Please e-mail me any suggestions.

Thanks

--
John M. Kimball                         SDRC

Web: http://www.cinternet.net/~gkimball  Milford, Ohio 45150

1. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

Hi Folks,

Here is the problem.

I have user A and user B (non-root users)

I need for user A to initiate a job as user B. How can this be done?

As you know, I can do this as root. I can start a process from root as
another user in the system (cron jobs come to my mind!) Is there a way
to do this for non-root users? I believe I need to be able to do
something like  as user A
"su - B" without being prompted for password.

Appreciate suggestions in advance.

Pasha

BTW: I am using AIX 4.3.10

2. Other choices besides NetApp for NFS NAS?

3. Java HTTPD as non-root on port 80?

4. Berkley 'ps' under solaris 7

5. How to make port 80 run as non-root

6. Ipchains www rule

7. non-root access to port 80?

8. Now I've been hacked ;-)

9. non-root users can't start to X server

10. Port 80 ownership change to non-ROOT

11. X won't start for non-root users

12. RH8 - Problem w/non-root users starting root programs

13. can't start X as non-root user