Apache 2, reverse-proxy, mod_rewrite - slow compared to 1.3?

Apache 2, reverse-proxy, mod_rewrite - slow compared to 1.3?

Post by nobod » Mon, 20 May 2002 02:46:54

I have set up an Apache 1.3 content-aware web switch for a Linux/Apache
cluster using the guidelines that Ralf Engelschall provided in various
articles and in the documentation of mod_rewrite.  There is an online
article here:
http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/1998/05/engelschall/

I tried building a version of this using Apache 2.0.36.  It does work,
however it is incredibly slow.  Benchmarks show that the connections are
happening fast enough, but it seems that something else internally is
stalling, as the response times are very high.  For example, a max
response time for a particular benchmark I ran was 0.2 sec for a static
page in v1.3, the new version has levels of 10 or 20 seconds.
In case it was a problem with mpm-worker, I did another build using mpm-
prefork.  Same poor results with both.  I have tried many different
settings with StartServers, MaxClients, ThreadsPerChild, etc.  No effect.

Is there some known "gotcha" with trying to use 2.0 in this way?  Or has
anyone had good results?  I'd be interested in seeing your httpd.conf and
config.nice files from your build.  I really was hoping to see an
improvement with the mpm-worker module.

Regards,
Robert Jones
---------------------
robertj at cs pdx edu

Apache 2, reverse-proxy, mod_rewrite - slow compared to 1.3?

Post by Rober » Mon, 20 May 2002 06:41:32

Quote:> Is there some known "gotcha" with trying to use 2.0 in this way?  Or
> has anyone had good results?  I'd be interested in seeing your
> httpd.conf and config.nice files from your build.  I really was hoping
> to see an improvement with the mpm-worker module.

Problem solved...I changed the host names to IP addresses in the server
map file.  This returned good performance.  Not sure why Apache 1.3 does
not have this behavior...

Robert

1. WWW and PROXY auth when using Apache as authetifying reverse-proxy

Hello all.

I'm using Apache's latest version (1.3.14) and it seems I hit a wall someone
has met before me. Basically the problem is as follows: - I have a reverse
proxy that works just fine thanks to ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse. Let's
call him "rproxy". He "hides" a http server, I'll call "server". - when I ask
for authentication on a resource located on "server" (using either Location
or Directory in the httpd.conf file of "rproxy"), "rproxy" sends a PROXY auth
to the client. I would expect a HTTP auth request... The user authentifies,
the "proxy" validates the credentials against the local database, and then
FORWARDS the auth request to the "server".

Problem is that I want the PROXY to authenticate the user, not the back-end
server. Is there a way to configure the "proxy" system so that the auth
request is not forwarded to the server?

I've tried <Directory>,  <Location (dirname)>, <Location (urlname)> with very
limited success...

Has someone managed to make this work?

Thanks in advance

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Security readings

3. newbie apache mod_rewrite reverse proxy question

4. whant my files back??

5. authenticated reverse-proxy with Apache

6. "Ideal" Linux Machine

7. Reverse-proxy to Apache ok, but to IIS KO?

8. Incredible News: Linux is a best seller!!!

9. mod_rewrite problem for reverse proxy

10. Apache1.3.6 Reverse Proxy mod_rewrite help!

11. reverse proxy with mod_rewrite Help!

12. Apache 1.3 as proxy server question

13. Help wanted:Apache 1.3, Proxy Block & Error Message