Can Apache Serve Active X Documents ?

Post by Dave Bouwma » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Help!

I need to serve an Active X document from my firewall, and things
just aint working smoothly. Served from a Win95 box with PWS, or an NT
 box with IIS, things run great. HOWEVER, when I put the ocx, the cab
 and the vbd files on my Linux server running Apache 1.1.1, shit
 happens. All I get in IE is a line of cryptic ascii text - looking like
 I transferred files in bin instead of ascii - not the case. If I then
 ftp the files back to a Microsoft box, and serve them from there, it
 works.

SO if anyone has ANY ideas at all about what could be pooched, please
email me.

Dave Bouwman

Can Apache Serve Active X Documents ?

Post by David Hay » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Did you create appropriate MIME types in Apache? Use the AddType
directive. If you haven't done this, then Apache will likely identify
your files as the default type, text/html.
--
David Hayes

My sysadmin always agrees with me.

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Did you create appropriate MIME types in Apache? Use the AddType
> directive.

good advice

Quote:> If you haven't done this, then Apache will likely identify
> your files as the default type, text/html.

_You_ might have made the default type be text/html on your server, but
text/plain seems to be rather common, and application/octet-stream is
not unknown amongst the more pedantic webmasters.

A binary file that has been inadvertently treated as "text" might be
ruined, whereas a "text" file that has been inadvertently treated as
binary can be fed through some kind of formatting utility (cf.  gnu
recode) to make it conform to the platform's newline and encoding
conventions.  So there is a justifiable argument for treating all
unknown file types as binary, even if it isn't what most people seem to
expect.

(No, I don't do it on the servers that I run, but I can see some
arguments in its favour).

Post by Rainer Sche » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I need to serve an Active X document from my firewall, and things
> just aint working smoothly. Served from a Win95 box with PWS, or an NT
>  box with IIS, things run great. HOWEVER, when I put the ocx, the cab
>  and the vbd files on my Linux server running Apache 1.1.1, shit
>  happens. All I get in IE is a line of cryptic ascii text - looking like
>  I transferred files in bin instead of ascii - not the case. If I then
>  ftp the files back to a Microsoft box, and serve them from there, it
>  works.

> SO if anyone has ANY ideas at all about what could be pooched, please
> email me.

Have you checked your mime types on the server for ocx, vbd and cab
files?
You should add a mime type "octet-stream" for the file extensions. See
the apache docu
("AddType").

Hope it helps Rainer

1. serving dynamic documents with Apache - Pragma: no-cache, Last-Modified, etc.

hello,

What is the proper way to manage proxy caching with Apache?

We have many pages which are generated using server side includes,
and are having problems with Prodigy (and maybe other big service
providers) caching the pages when they really should not be cached
at all, or should have a lifetime of about an hour.

What method can I use to ensure that most, if not all proxies out there
will "do the right thing" with our pages (not cache at all, or if we
want, cache for about an hour)?

I have heard about the "Pragma: no-cache" and "Last-Modified" headers, but
I don't know which proxies use them or how to get Apache to generate
them.

From looking at the Apache source, it looks like the only way to get
Apache to generate a "Pragma: no-cache" is with negotiated content,
and its treatment of "Last-Modified" depends on proxies not caching
if it does not exist. I have no idea how standard the latter behavior
is.

So, how to I get "Pragma: no-cache" and or "Last-Modified" headers in
our dynamically created pages?

thank you for your time,

Dwayne Fontenot

2. logging on console

3. Slackware 2.1.0 Installation Problems

4. Documents served by Apache not cached by Navigator

5. Installing Gnome from cdrom RH6.2

6. Appending a notice to all Apache served documents

7. C compiler for Solaris 2.4 on Pentium

8. CGI: apache canned response

9. Serving documents based on browser capabilities?

10. How to serve up user documents *as* that user?

11. Serving 8 bit documents

12. Default Mime Type of served documents