Problems trying to restrict access or require authorization for Apache PassProxy proxy server usage

Problems trying to restrict access or require authorization for Apache PassProxy proxy server usage

Post by Mark A. Schwen » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am attempting to use Apache 1.3.3 on UnixWare 7 as a non-caching proxy
server and would like to restrict access or require authorization for
requests to this proxy. Access is to be granted to users from subnet
192.168.0. Users from outside this subnet are to be prompted for a user name
and password which will be checked against a file of valid users and
passwords.

I configured Apache with

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=proxy

Following are the relevant portions of my httpd.conf file:

ProxyRequests On
Listen 9100
<VirtualHost 192.168.0.12:9100>
ServerName www.foobar.org
<Directory proxy:*>
AuthName "foobar"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/etc/PASSWD
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 192.168.0
require valid-user
Satisfy any
</Directory>
ProxyPass / http://www.encyclopedia.com/
ProxyPassReverse / http://www.encyclopedia.com/
</VirtualHost>

If I turn off the authorization checks, the proxy is working fine.  If I
turn on the authorization checks, I can connect fine from the 192.168.0
subnet. But if if I connect from outside the 192.168.0 subnet, I receive no
prompt for username and password but receive the following message in the
browser :

HTTP/1.0 407 Proxy Authentication Required
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:34:58 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.3 (Unix)
Proxy-Authenticate: Basic realm="foobar"
Connection: close

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>407 Proxy Authentication Required</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Proxy Authentication Required</H1>
This server could not verify that you
are authorized to access the document you
requested.  Either you supplied the wrong
credentials (e.g., bad password), or your
browser doesn't understand how to supply
the credentials required.<P>
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.3 Server at www.foobar.org Port 9100</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>

The results are the same with either the Netscape 4.5 or IE 4.0 browser.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to achieve the desired results?

Thanks for your help!
-Mark Schwenk

Problems trying to restrict access or require authorization for Apache PassProxy proxy server usage

Post by Marc Slemk » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I am attempting to use Apache 1.3.3 on UnixWare 7 as a non-caching proxy
>server and would like to restrict access or require authorization for
>requests to this proxy. Access is to be granted to users from subnet
>192.168.0. Users from outside this subnet are to be prompted for a user name
>and password which will be checked against a file of valid users and
>passwords.

Authroization does not currently work with ProxyPassed directories.
This is because your browser doesn't know it is talking to a proxy,
so it won't accept proxy authorization requests.

This is a known problem.

1. User based access authorization on proxy server

Hello,

one of our clients would like to have a www proxy for its employees with
the following requirements:

    1.) Any employee should have access to the proxy, but with a personal
        password only, perhaps the login password

    2.) If possible, the passwords should be stored in a database and the
        proxy could use this database.

    3.) User based accounting should be possible, so that any employee
        would pay a fee based on the number of his accesses.

I know, that the CERN httpd fulfills the first requirement. It cannot
do 2.) and 3.), however. Implementing 2.) would probably be an easy
task, but 3.) is still left.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jochen

2. linux router protocols

3. Apache 1.3b6 Proxy: Remote Proxy Authorization

4. rename arch/i386/pci/numa.c

5. restricting access with apache as proxy

6. Utente Mac Italiano help!!

7. Apache proxy: How do I restrict external access to it?

8. talk woes

9. Apache 1.1.1: Any way to restrict proxy access to certain cites only?

10. Apache with restricted access and proxies

11. How? - Restrict access to Apache Proxy

12. Apache with access control vs proxy (Not apache AS proxy)

13. "Can't Access Web Page" trying to access Apache Server