Does upgrading Apache-SSL require new certificate request?

Does upgrading Apache-SSL require new certificate request?

Post by David Sewe » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Sorry if this is a boneheaded question, but I've been looking
through the docs and DejaNews without finding an obvious answer.

I've been running apache-ssl 1.2.6 for a while, on a WWW server for
which I purchased a signed certificate from Thawte earlier this year.
I decided to upgrade to apache-ssl 1.3, and installed the latest
Debian package.  The new installation would no longer work,
apparently because of problems recognizing the certificate, and
after failing to fix things I backed out and reinstalled the
1.2.6 server.

My question: does upgrading the version of an SSL-enabled server
mean you have to request (and thus pay for) a new digital
certificate?  Or should it be possible to use the current one?

DS
--

Dep't of Geosciences, Univ. of Arizona         |  better than manifest."
 WWW: http://packrat.aml.arizona.edu/~dsew/    |           --Heraclitus

Does upgrading Apache-SSL require new certificate request?

Post by Marc Slemk » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Sorry if this is a boneheaded question, but I've been looking
>through the docs and DejaNews without finding an obvious answer.
>I've been running apache-ssl 1.2.6 for a while, on a WWW server for
>which I purchased a signed certificate from Thawte earlier this year.
>I decided to upgrade to apache-ssl 1.3, and installed the latest
>Debian package.  The new installation would no longer work,
>apparently because of problems recognizing the certificate, and
>after failing to fix things I backed out and reinstalled the
>1.2.6 server.
>My question: does upgrading the version of an SSL-enabled server
>mean you have to request (and thus pay for) a new digital

No.

You can often even switch between different servers entirely, as
long as they understand the same certificate format or the
format can be converted.

Quote:>certificate?  Or should it be possible to use the current one?

Yes.

Post by Ralf S. Engelscha » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Sorry if this is a boneheaded question, but I've been looking
> through the docs and DejaNews without finding an obvious answer.
> I've been running apache-ssl 1.2.6 for a while, on a WWW server for
> which I purchased a signed certificate from Thawte earlier this year.
> I decided to upgrade to apache-ssl 1.3, and installed the latest
> Debian package.  The new installation would no longer work,
> apparently because of problems recognizing the certificate, and
> after failing to fix things I backed out and reinstalled the
> 1.2.6 server.
> My question: does upgrading the version of an SSL-enabled server
> mean you have to request (and thus pay for) a new digital
> certificate?  Or should it be possible to use the current one?

The upgrading is independend of your certificate. You can use your old one, of
course. I assume you have done some configuration errors with the Apache 1.3
version, so it failed.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall

                                       www.engelschall.com

1. Old machine Tomcat+SSL, new machine Apache+SSL - new certificates needed?

A new customer of ours uses Tomcat+SSL on their current machine.
I've set up a new machine for them using Apache+SSL, however I'm
unclear about migrating certificates.  Is that possible or do I have to
server.crt and server.key in their Tomcat+SSL setup.  It has .csr and
.cer files.

Thx,

Skip Montanaro

2. semaphores and "ftok" on linux

3. Can't convert my netscape ssl certificate for use with Apache-SSL

4. User access

5. Apache-SSL and problems with SSL certificate

6. Thinkpad 570 sound problem

7. apache mod-ssl repeatedly requesting certificate

8. man page character set problem over telnet

9. New apache install and SSL test certificate

10. Apache-SSL: Multiple Certificates With Virtual Servers?

11. Can't make certificates for Apache-SSL

12. how to get certificates for Apache-SSL?

13. Apache-SSL:"No Certificate set..."