User authentication module

Post by Gary Marti » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I need to be able to password protect an Apache 1.3.9 server and
restrict access to
codes/passwords that are held in a Unix /etc/shadow file.

There's a mod_auth_sys module (at http://www.ntb.ch/Pubs/mod_auth_sys.c)
that should do this okay, but I can't get it to work. It's okay when
using /etc/passwd but not (for me) for /etc/shadow.

Anyone got this working or any other ideas for authenticating against an
/etc/shadow file?

Gary Martin
WWW Admin
Sheffield Hallam University

Post by Luc More » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> There's a mod_auth_sys module (at http://www.ntb.ch/Pubs/mod_auth_sys.c)
> that should do this okay, but I can't get it to work. It's okay when
> using /etc/passwd but not (for me) for /etc/shadow.

That's not that hard to do, but you must (re)-configure some parts of the
system in order to let your Apache processes read /etc/shadow.  Check the
file permissions for /etc/shadow and react accordingly.

Be warned that this can be a severe security exposure.

Luc

--
Luc Moreau (lucm at bigfoot dot com)
Senior Analyst - Network monitoring

1. Apache module for mSQL user authentication

I have implemented a module for Apache (1.0.3, but probably works lower) that adds commands and processing for user
authentication via an mSQL database. I am happy to contribute this to the community, but thought it would be easiest to do so
through the Apache Project if they are interested. so, are you interested?

2. HELP!! VCR TAPE BACKUP

3. htaccess: User not known to the underlying authentication module

4. stealth 2001 drivers???

5. User Unknown to Underlying Authentication Module

6. Colours in X

7. User authentication - DBM module

8. Apache module to use Sybase db for user authentication

9. User script-triggered user authentication? (full message)

10. User Authentication on the fly (Adding New Users)

11. How to change a users name (r->connection->user) in a module

12. Apache 2.0 : own authentication module