strange behavior with ServerRoot directive - any help appreciated!

strange behavior with ServerRoot directive - any help appreciated!

Post by Joseph Morriso » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm running Apache 1.3.9-4 under Red Hat 6.1, and am having a strange
problem using the ServerRoot directive.

I'm trying to run Apache with the configuration files moved to
/etc/httpd.public instead of their usual location /etc/httpd. So I added
this directive to the top of the httpd.conf file:

  ServerRoot /etc/httpd.public

and started Apache with the flag:

  -f /etc/httpd.public/conf/httpd.conf

However, it now fails to start up with the error message:

  No such file or directory: could not open mime types log file
/etc/httpd/conf/mime.types

The log file is getting properly written in
/etc/httpd.public/logs/error_log, so I know the ServerRoot directive is
being at least partially taken into account.

If I create a dummy mime.types file at the above location
(/etc/httpd/conf/mime.types) then Apache starts - but why is it still
looking for anything in /etc/httpd? And furthermore, I never had a
mime.types file in the original configuration. Why wasn't Apache
complaining then?

I've also tried using the -d argument, which doesn't seem to make any
difference. Any help solving this mystery would be greatly appreciated!

My goal is not that complicated; I just want to move the /etc/httpd
directory somewhere else and still have Apache work properly.

Thanks much!
- Joe

--
joseph morrison, president      e-smith, inc.           tel (613) 236-0743

Post by Joshua Sliv » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I'm running Apache 1.3.9-4 under Red Hat 6.1, and am having a strange
> problem using the ServerRoot directive.
[...]
>   No such file or directory: could not open mime types log file
> /etc/httpd/conf/mime.types

Check your setting of the TypesConfig directive:

http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#typesconfig

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

1. apache ServerRoot directive

To what directory should point the ServerRoot directory?
I already read the explanation in
http://apache.siol.net/docs/mod/core.html#serverroot, but I'm not sure....
I set it to /usr/local/frontpage where the *:<port>.cnf files are. Is this
correct? Is this the reason  why the feedback form is not working - when I
submit it i get: 'The requested URL /--WEBBOT-SELF-- was not found on this
server.'

Thanks for your time.

2. window

3. Apache ServerRoot directive

4. Frequently Asked Questions about Unix - with Answers [Monthly posting]

5. Apache-Jserv's ServerRoot directive does not work

6. Installed RH7, Win98 no longer boots

7. Starting httpd with -d to point to an alternate ServerRoot fails to read config directives

8. Slackware 3.2, FreeBSD 2.2.1 and configuring for X-Windows on a NEC VERSA 4230 Notebook

9. Help please - strange FTP problem - any help much appreciated :)

10. strange yaboot problem. help appreciated

11. MS mouse: strange behaviour - help!

12. Internet vs Linux - Strange behavior (Help for a newbie!)

13. Help!! Strange behaviour using ppp