NCSA httpd152.....help

Post by David McCal » Tue, 18 Nov 1997 04:00:00

--------------4EF25D30FF83FCCC59DE1DFC

I want to serve up MS Word and MS Excel files.......I notice that
application/msword is in the mime.types.......but I am serving from a
UNIX box and my MAC browser doesn't seem to be able to recognise the
.xls or .dlc extensions in a way that causes it to load the applications
indicated above.........are their specific entries in the httpd.conf or
other
config files that will permit this service.......any help would be
appreciated.
Thanks ahead of time.....

David McCall

Information Technology
Sonoma State University
1801 E. Cotati Avenue
Rohnert Park,   CA  94928-3613
707-664-2348
       -3099(voicemail)

--------------4EF25D30FF83FCCC59DE1DFC

begin:          vcard
fn:             David McCall
n:              McCall;David
org:            Sonoma State University
adr:            Sonoma State University / Information Technology;;1801 E. Cotati Avenue;Rohnert Park;California;94928-3613;USA

title:          Systems Analyst
tel;work:       707-664-3099/2348
tel;fax:        707-664-2505
tel;home:       707-792-0482
note:           I'm looking to expand *trash 'cause=0A=
my garage is tooooo  full of discarded=0A=
circuitry........maybe a where-house=0A=
or an unused-unrented-unleased building=0A=
typically located in some industrial section=0A=
of the city......

x-mozilla-cpt:  ;15488
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
end:            vcard

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Tue, 18 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I want to serve up MS Word and MS Excel files.......I notice that
> application/msword is in the mime.types.......but I am serving from a
> UNIX box and my MAC browser doesn't seem to be able to recognise the
> .xls or .dlc extensions in a way that causes it to load the applications
> indicated above.........are their specific entries in the httpd.conf or
> other
> config files that will permit this service.......any help would be
> appreciated.
> Thanks ahead of time.....

No decent browser recognizes the extensions. A decent server, usually
via a file like mime.types, and often through some other mechanism,
recognizes a correspndence between an extension and a "Content-Type"
which it sends in a header line before the document. The browser then
recognizes what it must do with a particular Content-type. So RTFM for
you server to ensure it's sending the correct Content-type, then RTFM
for your browser to be sure it's doing the right thing with that
Content-type. Hope this helps.

--
Kurt J. Lanza

1. NCSA build Playstation 2 Linux cluster -- ncsa.UIUC.edu

http://arrakis.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ps2/cluster.php
PLAYSTATION 2: COMPUTATIONAL CLUSTER

  The NCSA has constructed a Playstation 2 Linux cluster as a test bench
for scientific computation on "toy" hardware. The cluster consists of 65
compute nodes, 4 user login and development nodes, and 1 prototype node
for software installation tests. All the nodes run the Sony Linux
distribution for Playstation 2. The compute nodes fill a 24-inch rack; 5
shelves at 13 per shelf (see left);
-------

2. kdebindings refuses to compile.

3. NCSA HTTPD Documentation Back (hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu)

4. Sun Sparc not booting after power failure

5. NCSA HTTPd NCSA/1.5.0a CGI question

6. Networking problem

7. Problems with NCSA 'DocFinder' under NCSA HTTPd 1.5

8. HELP: script

9. Help: NCSA httpd doesn't display GIF

10. Help -- NCSA httpd problem!

11. help with NCSA server install -- one last problem ...

12. NCSA httpd and defunct processes, Help!

13. Help with NCSA Mosaic 2.4 on Solaris