Error 404 and other custom messages.

Post by David Berna » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

We are using Apache 1.0.3 and would like to know how to set up a
custom error message to be displayed when the error 404, 401 and 500
occur. I have seen this done but do not know how to do it.

We are a domain on a multi-domain server. So the messages would have
to be ones that do not affect the other domains.

www.windows95.com is an example of custom message. He is housed on an
Identical system.

Thanks for any help in advance!

David Bernard
Webmaster - "The Delphi Information Connection"

http://www.delphi32.com

Post by Rob Hartil » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> We are using Apache 1.0.3 and would like to know how to set up a
> custom error message to be displayed when the error 404, 401 and 500
> occur. I have seen this done but do not know how to do it.

> We are a domain on a multi-domain server. So the messages would have
> to be ones that do not affect the other domains.

It's tricky to do this with 1.0.3 without affecting everyone else.
ErrorDocument in 1.1 will be configurable on a per directory basis.

Apache 1.1 beta   eta Apr 20th - ish

--
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/
     ------- where do you want to be mislead today? --------

Post by Paul Sutto » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> We are using Apache 1.0.3 and would like to know how to set up a
> custom error message to be displayed when the error 404, 401 and 500
> occur. I have seen this done but do not know how to do it.

Have you tried the ErrorDocument command? Examples of its
use are in srm.conf-dist. You can use it to cause an error
to display a fixed string, a local redirect to a file or
CGI script, or an external redirect.

Paul
--
Paul Sutton, Technical Director, UK Web --- http://www.ukweb.com/~paul/
Commercial Support for the Apache Web Server, see http://www.ukweb.com/

1. Custom 404 error message in Apache

I'm using the ErrorDocument directive to provide a custom 404 error page.
However one drawback is that users can no longer see the faulty url they
requested.

Is there a way to include the default "The requested URL /foo.html was not
found on this server." behavior in a custom error document?

Mark Staben

2. Problem with lsdev command ?

3. IE 5.5 doesn't recognize custom 404 message

4. tapes and freebsd

5. 404 errors on proxy servers and others

6. Question about CDROM_DRIVE_STATUS to get tray info

7. Setup Custom 404 Error page

8. moasic on linux so slow

9. Website not found error message 404

10. Apache 1.3.14: Sporadic 403 and 404 error messages

11. IE5 intercepts 404 Error Message

12. Custom 404?

13. Custom 404 on NCSA httpd