NCSA User Authorization Blocking Me Out

Post by Art Urb » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

I have created the appropriate htpasswd file, put myself in it, and gave
myself a password. I then protected a single directory requiring me as
the required user. In Netscape (just in case its relevant) I navigate
to the directory, I am correctly prompted for my user/pass, but even
though I enter it correctly, I am denied access.

Got any ideas?

 "The delicious fruity flavor burst right through his skull..."      - Crow

1. Server Side Includes with User Authorization (NCSA AuthUserFile)

I've not been able to get individual authorization (AuthUserFile) to work
_in combination with_ server side includes. Separately, each work
fine, but when used together, after I respond to the authorization
dialogs, I get a File Selection Box prompting me to "Save As (type
text/x-server-parsed-html", rather than to display it in my browser.
(If I do save the file, it is the correct HTML file.)

I really would appreciate help with this.
Details follow. This server is pretty much vanilla with respect to
config files other than what I've mentioned.

Environment:
-----------
        NCSA httpd 1.4
        htpasswd from version httpd _1.3_
        SunOS 4.1.3
        Netscape 1.1b3 and Mosaic 2.4 (same results)

access.conf:
-----------

Directory /some/subdir/of/our/DOCROOT>
AllowOverride None
AuthUserFile /some/other/place/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName By Password
AuthType Basic
<Limit GET>
        require user someUserName
</Limit>
</Directory>

srm.conf: (Note we use ".html" rather than ".shtml" for SSI.)
--------

# If you want to use server side includes, or CGI outside
# ScriptAliased directories, uncomment the following lines.
AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html

access_log:
----------
myHost - someUserName [02/Jun/1995:19:35:29 -0400] "GET /some/subdir/of/our/DOCROOT/file.html HTTP/1.0" 200 4601

error_log: contains nothing related to this.

- Motif FAQ maintainer                 ftp://ftp.cen.com/pub/Motif-FAQ
- MW3: Motif on the World Wide Web     http://www.cen.com/mw3/
- Century Computing, Inc.              http://www.cen.com/

2. setitimer, sleep and SIGALRM

3. Question on NCSA httpd's authorization

4. Commanche - How to set back to instal state

5. NCSA httpd authorization help

6. GDI and WPS printers

7. Can apache/stronghold log when a user 'click outs' of your site?

8. Idle Shell killing script? Anyone have one?

9. Fine-grained user authorization

10. User based access authorization on proxy server

11. User Authorization Problem

12. MMDF per-user authorization?

13. QPOP hangs on user authorization