NCSA httpd 1.4.2 scrambling long(ish) docs

NCSA httpd 1.4.2 scrambling long(ish) docs

Post by Ken Siml » Tue, 17 Oct 1995 04:00:00

        Let me say first off that I am new to running a WWW server, and
am still experimenting.  That said, here's my problem:
        I recently installed NCSA httpd 1.4.2 on our RS/6000 (model 41T)
running AIX 3.2.5.  I used the binary that I downloaded from NCSA.  It
works OK (at least as far as I've gone with it) except that long html
documents seem to get scrambled when browsing/viewing them.  As I scroll
down a ways the page stops showing what is really in the html doc, and
instead shows earlier parts of the same doc.  That is, the top of the
page (or parts of the top of the page, or parts of the middle of the
page) appear *again* at the bottom of the page, and the real bottom of
the page never appears.
        These docs really aren't all that long -- problems have occurred
with docs only 5K in size, and not very complex.  At first I thought it
was just bad html writing on my part, but then I saw it do essentially
the same thing with a 24K gif image.  In this case the bottom 1/8 of the
image was cut off, and the netx-to-last 1/8 of the image right above was
repeated in its place, like this:
AAAAAAA
BBBBBBB
CCCCCCC
DDDDDDD
EEEEEEE
FFFFFFF
GGGGGGG
GGGGGGG

        Using smaller documents (html or gifs) works without a problem.
 I doubt the problem is on the broswer side, since I can view big docs
and images from other servers without any problems.  I've checked the
docs on our server with three browsers (MS-Win Netscape, Unix Netscape,
and Unix Mosaic) and all the problems are the same.
        Interestingly, when I View|Source using the Netscape browsers I
get html code that corresponds to what is on the screen, which is *not*
what is in the actual html file.
        I suspect this is either a bug in the server (unlikely), or I
need to give the httpd more resources (like paging space or something).
 Or it could be something else entirely.  For the most part I left the
configuration the way NCSA recommends.

        Thanks in advance for any clues on this problem.  Responses to

Ken Simler

Post by Brandon Lon » Tue, 17 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>    Let me say first off that I am new to running a WWW server, and
>am still experimenting.  That said, here's my problem:
>    I recently installed NCSA httpd 1.4.2 on our RS/6000 (model 41T)
>running AIX 3.2.5.  I used the binary that I downloaded from NCSA.  It
>works OK (at least as far as I've gone with it) except that long html
>documents seem to get scrambled when browsing/viewing them.  As I scroll
>down a ways the page stops showing what is really in the html doc, and
>instead shows earlier parts of the same doc.  That is, the top of the
>page (or parts of the top of the page, or parts of the middle of the
>page) appear *again* at the bottom of the page, and the real bottom of
>the page never appears.
>    These docs really aren't all that long -- problems have occurred
>with docs only 5K in size, and not very complex.  At first I thought it
>was just bad html writing on my part, but then I saw it do essentially
>the same thing with a 24K gif image.  In this case the bottom 1/8 of the
>image was cut off, and the netx-to-last 1/8 of the image right above was
>repeated in its place, like this:
>AAAAAAA
>BBBBBBB
>CCCCCCC
>DDDDDDD
>EEEEEEE
>FFFFFFF
>GGGGGGG
>GGGGGGG
>    Using smaller documents (html or gifs) works without a problem.
> I doubt the problem is on the broswer side, since I can view big docs
>and images from other servers without any problems.  I've checked the
>docs on our server with three browsers (MS-Win Netscape, Unix Netscape,
>and Unix Mosaic) and all the problems are the same.
>    Interestingly, when I View|Source using the Netscape browsers I
>get html code that corresponds to what is on the screen, which is *not*
>what is in the actual html file.
>    I suspect this is either a bug in the server (unlikely), or I
>need to give the httpd more resources (like paging space or something).
> Or it could be something else entirely.  For the most part I left the
>configuration the way NCSA recommends.

This is a bug with the fwrite library function (as near as we can tell)
under AIX 3.2.5 on PowerPC based RS/6000 machines.  We "fixed" it in
1.5b4 by going to unbuffered writes.  Feel free to pick up 1.5b6
on http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/beta-1.5/  (though you probably need
the patches, also available from there)

Brandon

        Come to the 1995 Midwestern ACM Conference at UIUC November 3-5
                     with Keynote speaker Steve Wozniak
                    http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/conference/

--
 Brandon Long           "I think, therefore I am Confused." - RAW
 HTTPd/SDG/NCSA/UIUC  "Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer."

 http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/blong  Consider myself properly disclaimed.

Post by Brandon Lon » Fri, 20 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Thanks for the info, Brandon.  I downloaded and compiled 1.5b6 and the
>problem appears to have gone away.  As for those patches, none of the
>patch descriptions on the Web page seemed to apply to my situation, so I
>didn't bother picking those up.  Am I missing something I should really
>have?

If you aren't big on SSI, or virtual hosts, then it shouldn't be a
problem.

Brandon
--
 Brandon Long           "I think, therefore I am Confused." - RAW
 HTTPd/SDG/NCSA/UIUC  "Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer."

 http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/blong  Consider myself properly disclaimed.

1. Bizarre probs w/NCSA httpd 1.4 on Linux (long-ish)

I don't know if these are problems with NCSA httpd 1.4 itself or a
complication arising from running it on Linux Slackware, kernel
level 1.2.8.

I have applied the patch avail. for this under Linux. It doesn't
seem to help.

1) the server occasionally hangs and I have to kill the process
and restart to resume service. Usually the syslog has:
Aug  9 11:08:05 elbombo named[43]: recvfrom: Connection refused
Aug  9 12:41:20 elbombo named[43]: recvfrom: Connection refused
Aug  9 12:50:32 elbombo named[43]: recvfrom: Connection refused
Aug  9 13:13:42 elbombo named[43]: recvfrom: Connection refused

..before it hangs, but on the other hand, these messages also
occur at other times, and the httpd does _not_ hang.

2) I used to have my domain name aliased to another system, which
still acts as my secondary NS now that we're up on our own box.
we'll call the former oldsys.com and the latter newsys.com.

if i enter http://newsys.com/~blah  I get a 404 NOT FOUND, and
weirder still, it looks like it's coming off of oldsys.com, cause
they're generic 404's and I have custom ones set up on newsys.com.
Also, if there used to be a file by the same name on oldsys.com,
entering
above URL puts you on that page (i.e. this doc has moved to ...)

appending a backslash, http://newsys.com/~blah/ and evrything works
fine.

I've hassled the sysadmins at oldsys.com countless times (i work there
part-time) and they swear up-and-down that my domain name is no longer
pointing at there system, blah, blah, blah.

Also, I've looked at the code on my system for httpd (httpd_get.c)
 and there's a routine there which says it's removing any trailing
 slashes because it eliminates a security hole. So what I did is
stick in a little chunk of code just b4 that, if the string didn't
end with a "/", I tacked one on, which then got passed to the
aforementioned security routine to be removed again. I know it sounds
retarded,
but believe it or not, http://newsys.com/~blah actually loaded
the document, however, none of the links from it would work.

3) Can't start up the multiple copies of httpd, says, this compile
doesn't support it, must compile with the -DNO_PASS flag, which I've
done, but to no avail.

Thanks for reading this far, ideas anyone??

|||| mark jeftovic              |||||  http://www.shmooze.net/~markjr     ||||
|||| p r i v a t e    w o r l d |||||  Create Yer Own cOunTEr-cULtUre     ||||
     19 Tyndall Ave. #3 *  Toronto * Ontario *  C A N A D A   *  M6K
2E8

2. test

3. Apache server download msword doc scrambles doc

4. question

5. Directory indexing of long filenames on NCSA httpd?

6. Database (large) recommendation, please...

7. NCSA HTTPD Documentation Back (hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu)

8. HELP: Pine

9. NCSA HTTPd NCSA/1.5.0a CGI question

10. Problems with NCSA 'DocFinder' under NCSA HTTPd 1.5

11. W3C httpd or NCSA httpd servers on Amdahl UTS2.1

12. NCSA httpd/Linux 2.0.x and 'httpd:cant resolve symbol recvmsg'

13. NCSA HTTPD v1.3 : Why I got httpd: send timed out