"semget: No space left on device"

Post by Ian Kalle » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

On a server built from a 1.3b6-dev source about 3 weeks ago running on
IRIX 6.2, tonight the server would not start.  Nothing.   Just this in the
error log
 semget: No space left on device
(can't be referring to disk space, file systems have plenty...)
So it's just about time to ask, "Why is this night different from any
other night?  This httpd started fine on all of the prior 20  or so prior
nights but on this one we must reboot."

bleh, wassup?
-Ian

--

"Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made
sense from things she found in gift shops."

"semget: No space left on device"

Post by Marc Slemk » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>On a server built from a 1.3b6-dev source about 3 weeks ago running on
>IRIX 6.2, tonight the server would not start.  Nothing.   Just this in the
>error log
> semget: No space left on device
>(can't be referring to disk space, file systems have plenty...)
>So it's just about time to ask, "Why is this night different from any
>other night?  This httpd started fine on all of the prior 20  or so prior
>nights but on this one we must reboot."

It doesn't like you.

What is happening is that Apache is trying to use SYSV semaphores
for accept locking, but IRIX don't wanna give Apache any.

This could happen for several reasons.  It could be a kernel bug in
IRIX causing them to get lost after a while.  Or it could be a bug
in Apache causing them to not get removed properly.  Unless you are
kill -9ing the server without giving it a chance to exit properly...

An "ipcs -s" should list the semaphores, and if you need to fix it up
without rebooting ipcrm should be able to manually remove old stale
semaphores.

If you add "-USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT" to the EXTRA_CFLAGS line
in your Configuration file, that should avoid the problem but will
impose a performance penalty of some amount.

You could give USE_USLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT a try if you have a
multiprocessor box, but it may not work right either.

1. RH 7.2: mkbootdisk fails, "No space left on device"

Dear group:

I've just installed a RH 7.2 on a new system.  However, when I run
mkbootdisk, I get the error:

    gzip: stdout: No space left on device

I'm guessing this is because my kernel + drivers is too big to fit on a
floppy.  (I'm using software RAID 5 on SCSI disks). Does anyone have any
suggestions for how I can:

    a) get mkbootdisk to work, or,
    b) generate a bootable CD-ROM?

Many thanks in advance,
Tom

2. Combatting Protection Faults, etc.

3. Help: "No space left on device"

4. page->virtual returns NULL

5. users [not root] get "no space left on device error"..???

6. Was This a Hack Attempt?

7. "No space left on device"

8. Configuring second server with Linksys

9. ftape: "no space left on device" for multi-tape afio

10. Mail error - "No space left on device" - HELP

11. Capacity 3% BUT "no space left of device"?

12. "No space left on device"