Allowing multiple users to upload to website

Allowing multiple users to upload to website

Post by Ceol » Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I run a website which contains files from a few dozen external
contributors. At the moment, they update files by FTPing into a submit
area, and notifying me to update the relvant files in the Web area of the
server.

I'm looking for a solution where they could do their own updates. For
security reasons, I'd rather they still use a common upload area, but
would then be able to move one or more files across their final
destinations. Does anyone have any thoughts or possible mechanisms to do
this? I'm a fairly novice Perl programmer, so dummy-level explanations are
welcome! The server is NCSA 1.3 (blush!) [soon to be switched to Apache]
running on an ancient SGI box (Indigo R3000, IRIX 4.05F....even more
blush!).

Thanks a million in advance for any advice you can give.

   -Gerard Manning.

--
Ceolas - Celtic music on the internet:   IrishNet: directory of Irish-related
http://celtic.stanford.edu/ceolas.html   resources in America:

Post by David Richar » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I run a website which contains files from a few dozen external
>contributors. At the moment, they update files by FTPing into a submit
>area, and notifying me to update the relvant files in the Web area of the
>server.

Is there a reason not to keep this methodology?

Quote:>I'm looking for a solution where they could do their own updates. For
>security reasons, I'd rather they still use a common upload area, but
>would then be able to move one or more files across their final
>destinations.

The first option I would suggest is to give each user their own FTP
username/password and directory, and have the web server look in _that_
directory for their files (via server 'Alias' entries or symbolic links)
and not have to move them at all.

Quote:>Does anyone have any thoughts or possible mechanisms to do
>this? I'm a fairly novice Perl programmer, so dummy-level explanations are
>welcome! The server is NCSA 1.3 (blush!) [soon to be switched to Apache]
>running on an ancient SGI box (Indigo R3000, IRIX 4.05F....even more
>blush!).

I'd keep FTP as the upload mechanism- HTTP isn't well suited for ACCEPTING
new files. any CGI solution (PERL or otherwise) would be pretty much
independent of the server software. The best method would be the one I
suggest above- not moving the files at all, but instead have the server
use the version they upload. By using <Directory> directives you can keep
these users from uploading cgi scripts or using .htaccess files to override
your settings.

The second best solution would be to have a (password protected) form from
which they can enter the filename of the file they uploaded, the URL where
it should appear, and have a CGI script process the form and copy the file
to it's new location.

--
David Richards                             Ripco, since Nine*-Eighty-Three
My opinions are my own,                    Public Access in Chicago

1. for help about allow anonymous user to upload

I want set my ftp server let anonmous to upload.I do as the file:
upload.configuration.HOWTO
to setup.But I donot success.here is my ftpaccess file:

class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *

limit   all   10   Any              /etc/msgs/msg.dead

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             all
tar             yes             all

log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

upload /home/ftp /incoming yes ftpadmin ftpadmin 0440 nodirs

and I set all the directories in path :/home/ftp/incoming  can be writed by
any user.

But when I upload file to incoming directory .the server report :Permission
denied on server.

who can tell me what's wrong? Pls reply the answer to my email box

2. Multiboot Setup with two hard drives

3. Kernel upgrading problems, please help...

4. Upload ├╝ber WebSite-Formlar (SuSE 7.1, Apache 1.3, PHP3)

5. Signal handler followed by default action

6. Problem uploading a website

7. Sound programming. Is there a library for it?

8. PROFTPD: Some users cannot upload files, some users cannot get directory listing

9. Help: how to set up APACHE to allow uploads?

10. 100% full drive still allows uploads

11. Allowing users to give files to other users

12. Allowing FTP upload but not download