Proxy to Proxy?

Post by Ki » Sat, 21 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Is there anyway to setup a proxy server which can direct the request to
another proxy server? Something like this below.

        Client --> Proxy1 --> Proxy2 --> Server
              <--     <--     <--

Well, I am connected to an Internet provider who provides proxy http
server and I use Netscape Beta 2.0 on my Linux. As you know, Netscape
Beta 2.0 on Linux has DNS problem and one workaround about it is to run a
local proxy server. If I run on a proxy server on my Linux box which is
connected to the Internet via 14.4 SLIP, I cannot get the benefit of
large cache on the provider's proxy. So I am thinking about a way to
setup a proxy server on my box which can forward and get everything from
the provider's proxy server. Any Idea? Any suggestion would be greatly
appreciated!!! Thank you in advance...

P.S. Please answer by Email since I often forget to read the news :)

Proxy to Proxy?

Post by Paul Gre » Sun, 29 Oct 1995 04:00:00

| Is there anyway to setup a proxy server which can direct the request to
| another proxy server? Something like this below.
|
|       Client --> Proxy1 --> Proxy2 --> Server
|             <--     <--     <--

Yes, Read the cern documentation.

Add the following to yout httpd.conf (or whatever you called it)

#
# *** HANDLING MULTIPLE PROXIES ***
#

#HTTP_Proxy                     <outer_proxy_server>
#FTP_Proxy                      <outer_proxy_server>
#Gopher_Proxy                   <outer_proxy_server>
#WAIS_Proxy                     <outer_proxy_server>
#No_Proxy                       <domain,name,list>

Then modify to point to your ISPs proxy/cache.  Simple.  I've been using it
quite successfully for a few months now.

 Paul.
   1 line sigs are _so_ cool. Unfortunately mine isn't one.   -- Paul Gregg

                    Phone: +44 (0)378-980-570 (Mobile)
  * may be the road to nowhere, but at least they're the scenic route!

1. ftp client proxy ms proxy firewall http proxy unix

for a unix ftp client that works through MS proxies, even with NTLM
authentication, go to this link...
  http://unix.about.com/cs/appsftp/
on the link above, 'curl' and 'lftp' seem to be teh best two i've ever
used, but be warned that curl will require openssl libraries as well
as zlib libraries.

you might also get errors with ld.so.1 or something such as this...
    ld.so.1: fatal
    No such file or directory
    ImportError: ld.so.1
if you get this kiind of error, then search groups.google.com for my
explanation on this kind of Nasty error which has fooled/beaten many a
rookie.

for NTLM authentication (MS Proxy Firewall or MS ISA Firewall), get on
www.sourceforge.net and look for 'NTLM Proxy Authentication' and then
find a program called (i think the program is called 'aps' it's
written by Dmitry Rozmanov) download it and configure it for your MS
Proxy/ISA Firewall. it might require the python intepreter, download
the python intepreter if you DON'T already have it. be patient,
everything will eventually work for you once you've read all the
manuals.
Moses Motlhale - Solutions Architect
24th Century Solutions, South Africa.

2. NFS/kerberos

3. Proxy (Cache-Proxies) Standard?

4. lilo "L 01 01 ..." problem

5. Proxy over Proxy - SSL possible?

6. Good security book

7. HTTP proxy and proxy server

8. IBM vaulepoint s3 with Xfree 3.1

9. Apache 1.3b6 Proxy: Remote Proxy Authorization

10. Proxy on Proxy

11. PD proxy with Proxy-Autorization?

12. Apache_1.2b8 proxy-server: proxy send body lost connection ...

13. Apache Proxy: Virtual Proxy Server (??)