Can I define srm.conf, access.conf in httpd.conf ?

Can I define srm.conf, access.conf in httpd.conf ?

Post by Gerardo Blanc » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00



I defined ErrorDocument 403 /sorry.htm
in srm.conf, because I found this instruction in this file in a commented
line with examples.

I Found I can define ErrorDocument in httpd.conf file instead of srm.conf
I didn't know this.

What I don't know is, If I can define all my src.conf and access.conf inside
httpd.conf
or only some instructions.

Thanks

--

Gerardo Blanco

 
 
 

Can I define srm.conf, access.conf in httpd.conf ?

Post by Phil Harri » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00


You can even live with just one conf file as long as it's called httpd.conf

>I defined ErrorDocument 403 /sorry.htm
>in srm.conf, because I found this instruction in this file in a commented
>line with examples.

>I Found I can define ErrorDocument in httpd.conf file instead of srm.conf
>I didn't know this.

>What I don't know is, If I can define all my src.conf and access.conf
inside
>httpd.conf
>or only some instructions.

>Thanks

>--

>Gerardo Blanco



 
 
 

Can I define srm.conf, access.conf in httpd.conf ?

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00



> I Found I can define ErrorDocument in httpd.conf file instead of srm.conf
> I didn't know this.

I'd recommend consulting the documentation for the server version that
you use.  Since you haven't said which server or version this is, it's
hard to advise you.

Current versions of Apache can take any directive out of any
configuration file, just like it says in the documentation.

 
 
 

Can I define srm.conf, access.conf in httpd.conf ?

Post by Chris Sai » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00



Quote:> Current versions of Apache can take any directive out of any
> configuration file, just like it says in the documentation.

Also, to note from the Apache newsletter, future releases of Apache
will put all of their configuration directives into one file,
httpd.conf.  The three-file solution (httpd.conf, srm.conf, and
access.conf) was used to maintain some notion of uniformity with NCSA.
However, I don't believe there will be any mechanism to stop people
from using as many files as they want to configure their system.

--

PGP Public Key is available at http://www.wtower.com/~csaia/personal/pubkey.asc
| A!JW223 YK+++!/+++^/+++"/+++'/ir WK++ DT+ PI+ BR++^ MM++  PFeather XSire P+ |
|    I++++ Dswiad $+++dap{c} Vrm{jt} T212/Pinky E77 EeH5 EeeH2 H17 Ay75 M     |

 
 
 

Can I define srm.conf, access.conf in httpd.conf ?

Post by Marc Slemk » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00



Quote:>I defined ErrorDocument 403 /sorry.htm
>in srm.conf, because I found this instruction in this file in a commented
>line with examples.
>I Found I can define ErrorDocument in httpd.conf file instead of srm.conf
>I didn't know this.

You can use any directive in any config file.

In fact, 1.3.4 will by default come with things only in httpd.conf
and srm.conf and access.conf empty.

Quote:>What I don't know is, If I can define all my src.conf and access.conf inside
>httpd.conf
>or only some instructions.

See the ResourceConfig and AccessConfig directives.
 
 
 

Can I define srm.conf, access.conf in httpd.conf ?

Post by Miles O'Nea » Sun, 01 Nov 1998 04:00:00



> What I don't know is, If I can define all my src.conf and access.conf inside
> httpd.conf

As others have pointed out, yes you can put everything in
httpd.conf.  But the Apache docs (somewhere 8^) recommend
you set AuthConfig and ResourceConfig to /dev/null .

I personally prefer to maintain two files, httpd.conf
and access.conf, but either way works.

-Miles

 
 
 

Can I define srm.conf, access.conf in httpd.conf ?

Post by Michael Rothwel » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00




> > What I don't know is, If I can define all my src.conf and access.conf inside
> > httpd.conf

> As others have pointed out, yes you can put everything in
> httpd.conf.  But the Apache docs (somewhere 8^) recommend
> you set AuthConfig and ResourceConfig to /dev/null .

> I personally prefer to maintain two files, httpd.conf
> and access.conf, but either way works.

> -Miles

  FrontRage barfs if there's only on config file, but barfing is what FrontRage
does best anyway. Everything else seems to work fine with one big http.conf file.
 
 
 

Can I define srm.conf, access.conf in httpd.conf ?

Post by Miles O'Nea » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00



>   FrontRage barfs if there's only on config file, but barfing is what FrontRage
> does best anyway. Everything else seems to work fine with one big http.conf file.

FrontPig on UNIX is useless, IME.  We used it on both HP and
FreeBSD servers.  It constantly screwed up permissions.  Some
of the things never worked.  Other things were only available
from the command line, so far as we could determine.  Eventually
it just quit working altogether for some directories, and went
downhill from there.

We eventually just scrapped it.  The UNIX ports for the FP server
extensions are *totally* worthless fecal material, IMO.

-Miles