Nomanclature

Post by Tom Mitchel » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 02:28:28

Hello,
I am having trouble understanding which Apache Linux binary to download.
For example:
    apache_1.3.22-i686-whatever-linux22.tar.gz
what is an i686? a Pentium box? Itanium?

Also, the 22 following linux...is that the kernal version?

I need a binary for a Dell Pentium III PC.
Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Tks,
Tom

--
Tom Mitchell
Progress Software Corporation

Nomanclature

Post by Mark Tayl » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:00:15

>Hello,
>I am having trouble understanding which Apache Linux binary to download.
>For example:
>    apache_1.3.22-i686-whatever-linux22.tar.gz
>what is an i686? a Pentium box? Itanium?

>Also, the 22 following linux...is that the kernal version?

>I need a binary for a Dell Pentium III PC.
>Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
>Tks,
>Tom

>--
>Tom Mitchell
>Progress Software Corporation
>603 594-6922 (w)
>978 448-2954 (h)

I don't think that file will give you a binary. It's more apt to give you
the source code to compile yourself.

To find a binary you will need to search by distro... Red Hat, Mandrake,
etc. Try rpmfind.net for binaries for your distribution.

Mark

Nomanclature

Post by Richard Fairthorn » Sun, 28 Oct 2001 04:04:35

That's a binary compiled for Pentium II/Athlon or more recent systems.

--
Richard Fairthorne - Alavator Corporation
P. (416)996-3663