Shared Object (DSO) performance issues

Post by Richard Homolk » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi.  Sorry if this is a FAQ (can't find it in the one on the Apache web
site) but does having modules as .so's carry any performance hit?  I
wanna definitely use dynamic modules for testing, but wanna tweak
performance out of the production server.  My guess it would have some
slight initial hit on server (and possibly child) startup, as they bound
to the libraries, but this would be negligible.  comments?

Please reply in e-mail as well.  Thanks.

Post by Mark Mentova » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Hi.  Sorry if this is a FAQ (can't find it in the one on the Apache web
>site) but does having modules as .so's carry any performance hit?  I
>wanna definitely use dynamic modules for testing, but wanna tweak
>performance out of the production server.  My guess it would have some
>slight initial hit on server (and possibly child) startup, as they bound
>to the libraries, but this would be negligible.  comments?

Have you read the Apache DSO documentation at
http://www.apache.org/docs/dso.html?  It answers your questions pretty
clearly.

Most Apache questions can be answered by looking at
http://www.apache.org/docs/.  (Yes, there's even an FAQ there.)  The
documentation is really quite thorough and informative.

Mark

1. Apache: Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) equivalent for windows?

In unix, it's possible to compile an Apache module separately from the
server, and configure the server to dynamically load the module at
runtime.

Can the same functionality somehow be achieved in ms-windows? That is,
can one somehow provide a precompiled module (perhaps as a DLL, or
whatever) that the server can use without recompiling?

This is important since ms-windows doesn't ship with a C compiler (if
you're running m$, you buy all your software instead of downloading
and compiling, right?), and also because not everybody might even have
the source handy.

2. Networking Problem

3. creating new shared object from existing shared objects ??

4. How to use mmap without a file or with a pseudo-device like "/dev/zero"

5. Shared object libraries issue

6. Firewall: Linux v. OpenBSD

7. Problem: shared object loading runs constructor of a static object, but static linkage does not.

8. quota problem

9. Constructors of global objects in DSOs

10. DB3 module works fine as CGI, but not as DSO object

11. error in loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared object

12. semaphors & memory share & object share

13. Diff between Shared Object & Shared Lib