Linux Server hardware recommendation

Post by Jeffery R. Webst » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

What would be the appropriate hardware to purchase for setting
up a Linux system running apache, sendmail, ftp and a few other
servcies for about 30 or less virutal sites?

Post by Nick Verhaeg » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: What would be the appropriate hardware to purchase for setting
: up a Linux system running apache, sendmail, ftp and a few other
: servcies for about 30 or less virutal sites?

We do it here with a 486 DX2-80 with 32 megs of ram.
We've got around 20 virtual hosts, we also run the dns for them, plus
virtual sendmaildomains.
We only get moderate hits, around 70000 hits a week.
FTP-maxuser is 8.

pgp-key : finger me        http://hal.ulyssis.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~gatzby/
Sysadmin hal.ulyssis.student.kuleuven.ac.be, Ulyssis treasurer

Linux Server hardware recommendation

Post by Dean Pentchef » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> What would be the appropriate hardware to purchase for setting
> up a Linux system running apache, sendmail, ftp and a few other
> servcies for about 30 or less virutal sites?

I just set up a Linux-based WWW server (not the one in the address
below -- that's a painfully slow Sparc IPC) with a Gateway G6-200 (200
MHz Pentium Pro).  I got a 2 Gb EIDE disk (probably smaller/slower
than you'd want -- the standard disk with it is SCSI), 32 Mb memory,
the cheapest video board Gateway would sell with it, no monitor (used
a surplus VGA for SW installation), 3c509 Ethernet, and cheap CD-ROM.
Total price was just about exactly $2000.

It flies, was very easy to set up (no Linux glitches - used standard
Slackware, then upgraded the kernel to 2.0.27 and Apache to 1.2b4),
and seems to be very stable.  It's under light usage, but could
clearly handle much more.

-Dean
--

Biological Sciences, Univ. of South Carolina, Columbia SC 29208 (803-777-3936)
PGP ID=768/22A1A015 Keyprint=2D 53 87 53 72 4A F2 83  A0 BF CB C0 D1 0E 76 C0

Post by Alan C » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>What would be the appropriate hardware to purchase for setting
>up a Linux system running apache, sendmail, ftp and a few other
>servcies for about 30 or less virutal sites?

That depends a lot on what the sites are doing and how much traffic they
get. Probably a random pentium machine. I'd be inclined to ensure good
back up device and probably UPS are also on the shopping list for it.

Alan

--

-------- http://www.cymru.net ----------       Phone: +44 1792 290194
Internet/Intranet Solutions, ISDN, Leased Lines, Consultancy and Support

Linux Server hardware recommendation

Post by Kirk Haine » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I just set up a Linux-based WWW server (not the one in the address
> below -- that's a painfully slow Sparc IPC) with a Gateway G6-200 (200
> MHz Pentium Pro).  I got a 2 Gb EIDE disk (probably smaller/slower
> than you'd want -- the standard disk with it is SCSI), 32 Mb memory,
> the cheapest video board Gateway would sell with it, no monitor (used
> a surplus VGA for SW installation), 3c509 Ethernet, and cheap CD-ROM.
> Total price was just about exactly $2000.

Just for reference, a client of mine has several servers running on
Pentium 166 machines with 64M of RAM, Adaptec 2940 SCSI card and Quantum
2gig drives.  They use RedHat Linux with Apache 1.1.1.

These servers are each tied to their own T1.  Traffic is about as high as
it can get -- the T1s run most of the day at or near saturation level
(around 170k/second transfer rates with around 15-16 hits a second).  The
servers easily handle this load.

Kirk Haines
OSH Consulting

}
} These servers are each tied to their own T1.  Traffic is about as high as
} it can get -- the T1s run most of the day at or near saturation level
} (around 170k/second transfer rates with around 15-16 hits a second).  The
} servers easily handle this load.

Excellent!  That means that, indeed, the system I specced out is
* overkill for our application.  But I get to use its spare
cycles as a development machine... (whee!).

-Dean
--

Post by Gabriel M. Schuyle » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> What would be the appropriate hardware to purchase for setting
> up a Linux system running apache, sendmail, ftp and a few other
> servcies for about 30 or less virutal sites?

I have a Pentium 100 and a 500 meg hard drive.  A 3com 509 is my choice
for the network but use whatever's most comfortable to you.  The RAM
is the tough spot.  We have proably about sixty-four virtualhosts on
the machine and did 100 megs a day of web traffic no problem on 32megs
of RAM.

Unfortunately, wu.ftpd can kill you.  We had to upgrade to 64 megs of
ram when we hit 65 concurrent ftp users downloading all at once.  It
almost brought the machine to its knees.

If you're really only doing mail and apache, even eight megs of ram
can hold you no problem.  If you're gonna run a big ol' warez site,
you'll need a lot more RAM.

--
gabriel m. schuyler, outlaw

Linux Server hardware recommendation

Post by James Grim » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

One setup that will definitely be underpowered:

75 MHz pentium
Linux 2.0
16 MB RAM
Apache 1.2b2

With X running, I have 0.5MB of RAM unused.  You will definitely need
more than 16MB of RAM.

-James

Post by Larry Doolitt » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: One setup that will definitely be underpowered:

: 75 MHz pentium
: Linux 2.0
: 16 MB RAM
: Apache 1.2b2

: With X running, I have 0.5MB of RAM unused.  You will definitely need
: more than 16MB of RAM.

unused ram is wasted RAM.  Linux does not waste RAM.  I used
Apache on such a configuration (90 MHz, Apache 1.0.3), it ran
just fine for light use.  I switched to Boa (not that I am
a neutral party :-) and xload doesn't even notice it's there.
I won't bore you with tales of how well a '386 with 8M RAM
can stand up to web load.

Post by Bjorn Boru » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

| These servers are each tied to their own T1.  Traffic is about as
| high as it can get -- the T1s run most of the day at or near
| saturation level (around 170k/second transfer rates with around
| 15-16 hits a second).  The servers easily handle this load.

my company uses a 486/33 8Mb for a WWW, DNS and mail on a server that
has very little traffic and it can handle the light load perfectly
well (the server typically has a load of less than 0.4 most of the
day).

we also have a 2-CPU Pentium pro 200Mhz with 256Mb RAM that I have
done some very simplistic testing on tonight.

note that the test is not very good since I haven't tried out
different numbers of client processes under different conditions.
also, the test was performed on a machine that had several people
logged in using Xemacs, GNU Emacs, fvwm, fvwm-95, afterstep,
ghostview, Netscape, Xterm and other kinds of software that you
usually run when you're logged in.  the machine was also running Crack
at the time, tying up most of one of the CPUs at all times.

the test consisted of transferring 1092 different files over and over
again with a small and fast program that just gets the data and
discards them, and it should be noted that when you have 256Mb of RAM
it is *very* likely most of these files will survive in your cache.

after 10 minutes the Apache Server Status (apache 1.2b6) said:

 Current Time: Sun Feb 2 03:15:38 1997
 Restart Time: Sun Feb 2 03:05:29 1997
 Server uptime: 10 minutes 9 seconds
 Total accesses: 77078 - Total Traffic: 397.0 MB
 CPU Usage: u2.81 s1.9 cu0 cs0 - 0.773% CPU load
 127 requests/sec - 0.7 MB/second - 5.3 kB/request
 19 requests currently being processed, 5 idle servers

I can probably make it kick even harder if I strip down my Apache a
bit, prohibit other people to log in and use the machine, and stop
running Crack on it.

this doesn't say much about how it'll run in the long term.  maybe it
can't sustain that rate, maybe it can.

oh, an Indy Challenge S with a 200Mhz R4400SC and 128Mb RAM that costs
about 3-4 times as much as a 2-CPU 200Mhz P6 here in Norway buckled
under the pressure at 60 requests per second -- although the test
doesn't really compare since it used a different server version
(Apache 1.1.1).

the result for the same Challenge S with a Netscape server resulted in
a complete standstill after about 20 minutes of 40-45 requests per
second (limit imposed by server).

our 2-CPU P6 has a Tyan AT1662 motherboard and runs Linux 2.1.24 SMP.

if anyone has done some real testing on this kind of machine I'd like
to see the figures.

-Bj?rn
--

 <URL:http://www.pvv.unit.no/~borud/> |      for "Netscape"
 UNIX person, one of "them"           |   (from Lars Haugseth)

1. Hardware recommendations for LINUX database server

I've decided to port a database application I've written onto
Linux/Postgres.  It then occurred to my that I would need a computer
to do this on.  Details details.

Anyway I am here to solicit recommendations about what is the
bomb-proof state of the art Linux platform.  I'm willing to spend a
little more $$$$ to get my hands on a box that's been around the block
and didn't fall over.  Is their a Vanilla solution?  (Stupid
question?)

As far as performance goes, I'd like to hear some recommendatins about
I/O buses such as PCI vs EIDE vs SCSI vs whatever, mostly 'cause I

Thanks,
BDW

2. s3 savage 4

3. recommendation on hardware recommendation

4. Wildcards in the alias file

5. (Newbie Question) Hardware recommendations for Unix server?

6. a couple questions on setup

7. Need: ISP News Server(INN) Hardware Recommendations

8. apache problem (modified)

9. High performance server - Hardware recommendation needed

10. Server hardware recommendations

11. Web Server Hardware Recommendation

12. Hardware recommendation for Samba server...

13. Can Someone Offer Server Hardware Recommendation?