running two apache servers on the same host

running two apache servers on the same host

Post by Paul Phillip » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I've been reading the docs on running a mod_perl enabled apache server.
Two different sources suggest running one regular server (for images and

regular web pages) and one mod_perl server for perl cgi because of the
high
overhead of the child processes on a mod_perl enabled server.

I actually have a spare IP address lying around that I can bind to the
network interface of my RedHat Linux 6.1 machine.  From reading the
docs, it seems easy to setup one httpd to BindAddress to one IP, and the

other to the second IP.

My question has to do with config files.  I presume that the httpd (or
in my
case the httpsd) that came with RedHat was compiled to know that the
config files were in /etc/httpd/conf.

If I just get the apache and mod_perl source, compile and install with
APACI, the
"out of the box" prefix will be /usr/local/apache, right?  So this one
that I
just installed will not bother the other httpsd?

I'm just checking this before I do it...  If anybody is running two
daemons at the
same time, I like to hear of any gotchas...

Thanks
Paul Phillips

running two apache servers on the same host

Post by Bill Mosele » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 19:41:37 -0600 Paul Phillips

[Is it netscape that wraps its lines too long?]

Quote:> I've been reading the docs on running a mod_perl enabled apache server.
> Two different sources suggest running one regular server (for images and

> regular web pages) and one mod_perl server for perl cgi because of the
> high
> overhead of the child processes on a mod_perl enabled server.

> I actually have a spare IP address lying around that I can bind to the
> network interface of my RedHat Linux 6.1 machine.  From reading the
> docs, it seems easy to setup one httpd to BindAddress to one IP, and the

> other to the second IP.

It sound like you think both servers have to be on port 80 (since you
are talking about two IP numbers).  When running a mod_perl heavy
backend server you can run it on a different port on the same IP (or
another IP), but in general it makes sense to proxy the mod_perl
requests through the non-mod_perl server instead of providing direct
access to the mod_perl server.

The reason is to get the mod_perl requests done fast and the output sent
and cached to the non-mod_perl server.  If remote clients are contacting
the mod_perl server directly slow connections can keep the mod_perl
child process tied up, and requiring more children and more memory.

Quote:> My question has to do with config files.  I presume that the httpd (or
> in my
> case the httpsd) that came with RedHat was compiled to know that the
> config files were in /etc/httpd/conf.

-V will tell you that.

Quote:> If I just get the apache and mod_perl source, compile and install with
> APACI, the
> "out of the box" prefix will be /usr/local/apache, right?  So this one
> that I
> just installed will not bother the other httpsd?

Sounds correct.

--

pls note the one line sig, not counting this one.