Software Available Free: free text searching engine for WEB server

Software Available Free: free text searching engine for WEB server

Post by Wang Wei J » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Greetings,

This is to announce the availability of a FREE full-text search &
retrieval engine specifically designed for WWW (restricted version).
The full-text engine is called DREAM for WWW. It allows information
publishers and providers to incorporate advanced information search
and retrieval technology into their WWW servers. DREAM for WWW
allows outside users to be able to search for any information in your
servers with a click of a mouse button. It is multilingual. DREAM
for WWW supports both English and Chinese texts. The restricted version
is a fully functional text retrieval engine. (see below for more
information).

You can see the detail of how to get the DREAM engine at:
http://www.iti.gov.sg/iti_service/dream/dream_announce.html

The DREAM engine is developed and copyrighted by National Computer
Board. It was developed by the HyDE programme under the
Information Technology Institute of NCB (http://www.iti.gov.sg)

Weijun

|Weijun  Wang   Tel: +65-7705933        Fax: +65-7773043             |
|E-mail:        WA...@ITI.GOV.SG                               |
|HTTP:  http://www.iti.gov.sg/iti_people/iti_staff/weijun/weijun.html
|Post:          Information Technology Institute                     |
|               11 Science Park Road,
|               Singapore Science Park II, Singapore 0511            |

________________some FAQ about DREAM for WWW_____________
BENEFIT:
The current WWW technology enables a user to browse your WEB
information by following hyperlinks in the WEB pages. If a user
want to search for some specific words or phrases, there is
no way of doing it in the current WWW servers. A lot of times,
users are so frustrated when they cannot find the information
in your WEB server that they just disconnect from the server.
The DREAM for WWW enables the searching capability for the
WEB servers.

FEATURES:
1. Free-text searching: search for any word in your WEB documents.
2. Stopword removal, stemming.
3. Support HTML. No special filters needed. The engine will
   recognize the HTML tag and index it accordingly.
4. Support for both Chinese and English, as well as mixture of
   the two languages.
5. Boolean query (ranked document output), as well as a simple
   natural language query.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENT:
DREAM for WWW is only supported on SUNOS4.1.3 although the source
code made no specific calls to the particular OS. If there is
a large demand, we will think about porting to other OS.

ABOUT RESTRICTED VERSION:
The restricted version is a full featured DREAM engine except that it
can only index up to 3,000 documents in your WEB server. I believe
this is more than enough for a small and medium site WWW server.
The restricted version is free. Please read the copyright document
with the distribution for more information. You are also required to give us
two simple usage statistics of our searching engine upon our request on a
quartly basis (As specified in the survey form).

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST FOR THE RESTRICTED VERSION:
It is free after you register with us. You are required to give us
two simple usage statistics of our searching engine upon our request on a
quartly basis.

FEEDBACK ON USAGE STATISTICS OF THE DREAM FOR WWW
By using the our searching engine, you are agreeable to provide user
statistics about our searching engine usage upon our request. The statistics
include: 1.how many users access the searching engine, 2.how many users
download documents as a result of searching (access the engine). 3.how many
documents were indexed in the searching engine. We will
request these statistics from you on quaterly basis.
You can get the statitics easily from your server's log file.

COPYRIGHT AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
Please read the CopyRight file with the distribution package.
You are also required to include the following acknowledge in
your search form:
We use the freetext searching engine <a href="http://www.iti.gov.
sg/iti_RnD/infosheet/infomgmt/dream.html">DREAM</a> to provide th
is searching facility. The DREAM engine is developed and copyrighted by <a href="http://www.iti.gov.sg>Information Technology Institute</a> Singapore.

HOW TO GET THE RESTRICTED VERSION:
In order for us to keep track of who is using our engine so that
we can send them bug fixes and new releases, you need to fill
out a registration form (10 questions) before I can send you
the engine. The form is attached at the end of the mail.
Please fill it out and return it to me: wa...@iti.gov.sg

HOW BIG IS THE DREAM for WWW:
Executables are around 500K after un-tar.

WHAT WE HAVE TESTED for DREAM:
We have index 1Gigabytes of pure textural data (TREC) and the
indexing overhead is around 50%.
Our own WEB server (http://www.iti.gov.sg) has been using it for
the past year.
We provide a free service for searching of Chinese On-line
magazine called HUA XIA WEN ZAI since June 1995. We have indexed
all the five years of the magazine and user is able to search
through a WEB interface (http://www.iti.gov.sg/search_chinese.html).

FOR MORE INFO:
read the readme file and documents with the distribution.

WHO DID the DREAM for WWW:
http://www.iti.gov.sg/iti_service/search/author.html
Vincent Lee, Tan Kwnag Han, and myself (Wang Weijun)
HyDE Programme
Information Technology Institute (Singapore)

CHECK THE INTEGRITY OF THE DISTRIBUTION:
The distribution is on a compressed tar file. The file is
digital signature signed by my PGP key. Here is my PGP key:

You can use PGP to verify it. (PGP2.62) You can get PGP from:
    ftp://ftp.dsi.unimi.it/pub/security/crypt/PGP/
    ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/pub/virus/crypt/pgp/
    ftp://ftp.csua.berkeley.edu/pub/cypherpunks/pgp/

Here is the form to fill out, Cut from here:

This survey form will help us understand your needs in terms of
information retrieval in WWW environment. Please fill out all
the questions. Your registration will enable us to send you
updates and new releases of the searching engine on time.

1. The name of the person that will maintain the DREAMWWW searching
engine
Last Name:_________________ First Name:__________________

2. Full name of your organization and postal address
Organization Name:___________________
Street Address:______________________
City:________________________________
Postal Code__________________________
State:_______________________________
Country:_____________________________

3. Email address of the person to contact.
   Email: _________________

4. Phone/Fax of the person to contact.
        Phone: Country(   )Area(    )Phone(            )
        Fax:   Country(   )Area(    )Phone(            )

5. The WEB server you are running:
        ( ) CERN
        ( ) NCSA
        ( ) Netscape
        ( ) Other, please specify__________
        Version: __________
        Server OS platform _____________

6. Number of documents in your WWW server:
        ( ) < 500
        ( ) 500 - 1000
        ( ) 1000 - 3000
        ( ) 3000 - 10,000
        ( ) > 10,000

7. Number of docuemnts you intend to be indexed in WWW server:
        ( ) < 500
        ( ) 500 - 1000
        ( ) 1000 - 3000
        ( ) 3000 - 10,000
        ( ) > 10,000

8. The URLs you intend to provide the WWW searching engine.

    http:://_____________________________

9. The URL of your WWW server

    http:://_____________________________

10. The purpose of using the searching engine:____________

Thank you for your time. Please send it to us via:
Email:  wa...@iti.gov.sg
Fax:    65-7773043/65-7791827 Attention: Wang Weijun
Postal:
        Attn: Wang Weijun
        11 Science Park Road,
        Information Technology Institute
        Singapore Science Park II
        Singapore 0511

1. Announce: Free Software Search Engine for Your Web Pages

Attention Webmasters:

Now you can offer a great service to the users of
your website, by adding a powerful software search
engine to your web pages. The free "Ask Dave" search
form lets visitors to your website query the
Dave Central database containing thousands of
Internet related products for Windows.

You'll find complete instructions for adding an
Ask Dave search form to your own pages at:

http://www.davecentral.com/askdave.html

Regards,
Dave Franklin

2. Fax Software for Linux

3. Looking for Search Engine Software (free)

4. Bad blocks on HD and Linux barfs

5. Searching For Automated Web Page to Search Engine Distribution Software

6. How Do I Install Slackware WITHOUT Repartitioning??

7. Searching For Web Page/Search Engine Distribution Software

8. 8 and 16 bpp

9. ANNOUNCE: FREE Eval of NetTracker 3.5 Web Log Analysis Software for Linux Web Servers

10. New Organization to Serve Free Software Community: Free Software Union

11. WWW: Unmaintained Free Software -- an Index of orphaned Free Software projects

12. Software Package Free! ... about our Free Software

13. Best free search engine which will compile on Digital Unix 4.0?