Netscape 3.0: Software Virtual Domains

Post by Andy Micon » Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>In apache, I can create a Non-IP virtual Domain according to the HTTP
>1.1 Specification.

>I'm trying to do the same with the "Software Virtual Domains" with
>Netscape Enterprise 3.0 Server.

>It gets to the index ok, but any other files gives me a "File not
>Found".

This is a bit of stupidity in the Netscape administrative interface.
Netscape can actually do this, but there is no way I know of to set it up in
the administrator's interface (at least last I looked). It treats other
domains as "home page" setups instead of document roots. To get it to work
properly, you need to change the part where it inserts the domain to look
like this in the obj.conf:

<Client urlhost="www.domain.com">
NameTrans fn="document-root" root="/document_root"
</Client>

I think the default setup is the "index-page" function instead of the
"document-root" function.

Netscape 3.0: Software Virtual Domains

Post by Greg Vern » Thu, 28 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>--------------5D12A433798BD8D7E57CD9C0

>In apache, I can create a Non-IP virtual Domain according to the HTTP
>1.1 Specification.

>I'm trying to do the same with the "Software Virtual Domains" with
>Netscape Enterprise 3.0 Server.

>It gets to the index ok, but any other files gives me a "File not
>Found".

>eg, http://new.site.com/           - works
>    http://new.site.com/next.html - Not Found.

Netscape doesn't reccomend this, but you can add a line to your
obj.conf file and it should work:

<Client urlhost="yourhost.yourdomain.com">
NameTrans fn="home-page" path="/your/pathname/index.html"
</Client>

should become:

<Client urlhost="yourhost.yourdomain.com">
NameTrans fn="document-root" root="/your/pathname"
</Client>

Then load your config files, and apply them.  Your server settings will
look a bit strange, but things will work.

One last note.  The name for urlhost must be accessed with exactly that
name.  If you try to shorten it (ie yourhost instead of yourhost.yourdomain.com)
It will go to your server's default page.

Cheers!
Greg

--

Web Services Analyst, UNIX & Internet Services         |  te kea, ka pai.
Boeing Information and Support Services                |

Netscape 3.0: Software Virtual Domains

Post by John Ciepl » Thu, 28 Aug 1997 04:00:00

--------------BC5A9E3D5B85577B8E45FBE1

What does Netscape recommend someone do to make It's Enterprise Server
compliant to HTTP/1.1?

Using Apache instead :)

John

> Netscape doesn't reccomend this, but you can add a line to your
> obj.conf file and it should work:

> <Client urlhost="yourhost.yourdomain.com">
> NameTrans fn="home-page" path="/your/pathname/index.html"
> </Client>

> should become:

> <Client urlhost="yourhost.yourdomain.com">
> NameTrans fn="document-root" root="/your/pathname"
> </Client>

> Then load your config files, and apply them.  Your server settings will
> look a bit strange, but things will work.

--------------BC5A9E3D5B85577B8E45FBE1

begin:          vcard
fn:             John Cieply
n:              Cieply;John
org:            Raytheon E-Systems, HRB Systems

title:          Senior  Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

--------------BC5A9E3D5B85577B8E45FBE1--

Netscape 3.0: Software Virtual Domains

Post by Maurice Richar » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

--------------FDD0C527C4BE4C54616FA5CB

I'm not 100% sure if this will answer your question but here is what I
did.

1. Create document root for my new software virtual server within my
main server doc root
/usr/ns-home/docs/sns

****** REMEMBER THIS NAME FOR LATER !!!!!

2. Create Software Virtual server in Enterprise Server
Using Menus and telling it to use /usr/ns-home/docs/sns as root.

3. Create HTML to test.
index.html
test.html

4. Browse my server
Check out index.html and also test.html.

NOTES:
a) I could get the index.html file every time as follows
http://my.virtual.server.address/

b) As soon as I tried to get test.html as follows, it did not work.
http://my.virtual.server.address/test.html

c) I figured out (I can't remember where or how) that a virtual server
needs to use the "root directory name" you gave it when you created it
for all pages "EXCEPT" index.html (default homepage). So, armed with
this knowledge, I did the following:
http://my.virtual.server.address/sns/test.html   **** AND IT WORKED !!!

d) So this also means that your HTML references inside your HTML docs
need this format to work. For instance, index.html had a link to
test.html and it looked like this:
"/sns/test.html" to get it to work.

FINALLY:

Given what you said in your article, you should try accessing your
virtual server as follows:
http://blackbelt.dseg.ti.com/blackbelt/??????.html

Anyways, I hope this helps.

--------------FDD0C527C4BE4C54616FA5CB

begin:          vcard
fn:             Richard, Maurice
n:              Richard;Maurice
org:            Maritime Tel & Tel
adr:            1505 Barrington Street;;Floor 3 - South Tower;Halifax;Nova Scotia;B3J 2W3;Canada

title:          Network Management Consultant
tel;work:       902-487-5105
tel;fax:        902-423-5541
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE