setting up SSL under Netscape

Post by Steven Saka » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have a web server set up in Netscape (e.g., http://www.company.com), and
now I want to set up a SSL-enabled web server (e.g., https://www.company.com).
I'm using the Netscape Enterprise Server 3.6.

I was wondering what is the recommended way of doing this.  Since I want
to use the same domainname, I need to use the same IP address.  Therefore, I
can only think of two options:

- option 1 is creating another server that has is configured the same as
  the existing one except it is listening on port 443 and has a
  different Server Identifier.

- option 2 is creating a second instance of the Netscape Enterprise Server
  and configure a server so that it listens on port 443 than enable SSL.

Does anyone have any suggestions/preferences or forsee problems in doing either
one?

Thank you, Steven.

--

setting up SSL under Netscape

Post by Dennis Kin » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Generally you set up a second instance under the same admin server but choose
different doc roots and cgi directories because you're concerned about access via
non-SSL connections. You can also set things up basically identically if the
concern is simply providing SSL access for customer security but you don't care if
the stuff is accessed/accessible non-SSL as well.

--
Dennis King
Product Manager

setting up SSL under Netscape

Post by Robbin Brahm » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

To enable SSL on Netscape and on other server you need a Trusted Certificate to all
the server to establish a SSL connection with a client.  It thinks Verisign is one
such org that sells certificates, there are others.  Once you have the cert setting up
the SSL on Netscape is pretty easy.