Trouble with virtual hosts under Linux 1.2.8 and Apache 1.0

Trouble with virtual hosts under Linux 1.2.8 and Apache 1.0

Post by Darrell Shandr » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Greetings.
I will be eternally greatful to anyone who can point me in the right
direction to solve the following problem with virtual hosts on Apache
httpd 1.0 running under version 1.2.8 of the Linux Kernel as patched for
this task.

I had a nice system running here with 27 virtual hosts assigned in my
httpd.conf file.  I use the rc.multihome method for assigning virtual
hosts.
However, 3 more virtual hosts were added on Monday night and the load
averages on our server went out of sight.  It was necessary to remove
those 3 hosts from the httpd.conf.  They are still in rc.multihome with
no problems.
Here are the problems I noticed after the load averages went through the
roof:

1.  The "top" command reveals that there are over 90% user processes on
our system and almost no idle time available.
All of this eventually causes various features like sendmail to stop
working until the system is rebooted or httpd is -HUP'd.

2.  CGI pages will not work properly.  Performance is very inconsistent,
usually not working.
When the httpd gets a CGI request, its child process becomes a zombee and
that's when the load averages and percentages go through the ceiling.
3.  This continues indefinitely until the server basically stops working.

Please let me know if I can help you help me!  It is becoming an
emergency since I had to remove those 3 hosts to get the system back to
normal.

I also have several more hosts to add.  Have I reached a limit
somewhere?  Thanks for any help.
Regards.

--
Darrell Shandrow
Customer Support

1. Trouble with virtual hosts with Apache 1.0 under Linux 1.2.8

[...]

2. Help: External Sportster Modem not talking

3. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

4. TinyTerm

5. Apache 1.0 Linux 1.2.13 / Virtual Host Problem

6. FreeBSD + Toshiba Tecra 500CDT

7. Does Apache 1.0 still need virtual IP when I set vitual host ???

8. Trying to vfree() nonexistent vm area (c38a5000) ....etc

9. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

10. apache trouble: some virtual hosts are not logged ?!

11. Apache 1.0 / Linux 1.2.13 Virtual Web

12. Apache - Virtual Host or /etc/hosts

13. Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..