Where do you get your information?

Post by David Gibs » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

Where does everyone get their information on how to create and
maintain a web site?  I am concidering Linux and Apache on a 486/33
with a 56 Kb dedicated line to our Internet host.  Is this field just
a trial and error one, or is there a set of books or classes that
helps you manage your systems?

You may notice that my address is a military one. With budget cuts and
the way military management feels about IS personnel, we can count on
getting no training and no more money.

I'm no idiot though.  I have written C code on DEC stations and the
X-Windows hooks to go with it.  I have put a Novell LAN together from
cardboard boxes.  I completely redisigned our LAN to move from 10base2
to 10baseT durring a physical move from one building to another.  All
this was self taught.

I have taught myself some basic HTML by downloading and looking at
others pages.  I am still in the dark when it comes to fancy
formatting, tables, and forms.  I can't even begin to do any CGI
programming.  What is a poor "Web-anything-but-master" to do?

Post by Marilyn Wright Go » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

>Where does everyone get their information on how to create and
>maintain a web site?  I am concidering Linux and Apache on a 486/33
>with a 56 Kb dedicated line to our Internet host.

The Apache documentation is all available on line at their website.  I
suggest you grab it and print it out.

Where do you get your information?

Post by Jason Bak » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Where does everyone get their information on how to create and
>maintain a web site?  I am concidering Linux and Apache on a 486/33
>with a 56 Kb dedicated line to our Internet host.  Is this field just
>a trial and error one, or is there a set of books or classes that
>helps you manage your systems?

[snip]

There's tons of books out there, but IMHO, they're all a waste of money.
For one thing, most of them are Netscape-centric.  Nothing annoys me like
a site that demands I use a specific browser - a professional web design
includes browser independence.

However, there are many tutorials out on the Web you can peruse for free.
A _huge_ one is 'The Web Masters Page', at
http://www.veryComputer.com/~boba/masters1.html
(last time I checked, anyways)

Jason

 Systems Administrator, Information Systems    | * things up requires
 BC Family Maintenance Enforcement Program     | the root password.

                 PGP key available from keyservers.

Post by John W. Aust » Fri, 10 May 1996 04:00:00

>dgibson> Where does everyone get their information on how to create and
>dgibson> maintain a web site?

Don't buy any Computer Book without seriously researching Tim
O'Reilly's site: http://www.ora.com

        1) Managing Internet Information Services
        2) Learning PERL.
        3) PERL Reference
        4) HTML (brand new book)
        5) CGI (new book)
        6) Unix Power Tools
        7) Do you get the idea yet?

The web site includes sample chapters from several books and the table
of contents is available on-line. I suspect the indexes are there too.
Good when you need to decide which of their twenty or so X-Windows
books you need.

I have a dozen or so of these handbooks for everything from VI to
JAVA.

Quote:>There is a pretty good ISP FAQ, which was written by a self-taught ISP
>guy. It is actually fairly accurate technically, and contains several
>intelligent discussions of alternatives.
>     David's Amazing Internet Services: Internet Provider Resources
>     http://www.amazing.com/internet/
>     Internet Access FAQ
>     http://www.amazing.com/internet/faq.html
>Other than this, the quickest way to get a Web site up and running with
>lotsa tools is to install one of the Linux distributions, typically
>either Debian or RedHat. The FreeBSD distribution is also fairly simple
>and comprehensive.

1. getting the network interface information and default gateway information ??

hi,
  iam trying to get the network interface information and the default
information.After doing some googling i found out the relevant
structures and the ioctl calls for getting the interfaces information(
i suppose i have all that right).
struct ifconf(and using the ioctl SIOCGIFCONF).
there is another structure
struct ifreq
but i dont think i need that one.

Now how do i do to get the interface address(aliases also).i have
written a small program, but dont know where iam going wrong.the code
is

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <net/if.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>

int
main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
    struct ifconf ifc;
    struct ifreq *ifr;
    struct sockaddr_in *sin;
    char buf[128];

    if ((s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0)) < 0) {
        perror("socket");
        return 1;
    }

    ifc.ifc_buf = buf;
    ifc.ifc_len = sizeof(buf);
    if (ioctl(s, SIOCGIFCONF, &ifc) < 0) {
        perror("ioctl SIOCGIFCONF");
        return 1;
    }

    ifc.ifc_len /= sizeof(struct ifreq);
    for (i=0; i<ifc.ifc_len; i++) {
        ifr = (struct ifreq *) &ifc.ifc_req[i];
        sin = (struct sockaddr_in *) &ifr->ifr_addr;
        printf("%s \n",sin->sin_addr);
        }
    }
    return 0;

And how can i get the default gateway address within my program.

any help will be highly appreciated.

thanks
rohit

2. XFree 3.2A with Trident TGUI 9440 in 16bpp

3. Need help getting Solaris information for a Linux sysadm

4. Help! enabling 3rd ide channel under RH 5.0

5. Getting eth0 device information in C or perl.

6. Restricting outgoing email to certain domains

7. Getting status information from network interface

8. RAM interleaving with performance?

9. Help - Getting prtconf information

10. Help: Getting Symbol Table Information - Sol 2.4

11. Getting process information <sys/proc.h>

12. getting link information via statx (or something)

13. Getting remote information